1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Cross-Member Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I'm in the process of swapping a complete front suspension including the cross member from a 1987 1/2 ton 2 W/D Suburban into a 1977 C10 pick up. The bolt mounting looks the same & the frame is the same width. Will this truly work or fit. I know the steering boxes are deferent so if the pitman arms don't swap I'll change boxes too. All the parts are coming off for bushings and ball joints so I was going to clean the front cross member and use the larger rotors from the Burb. I figure it'll be good experience anyway. If anyone has done this, I'm into any hints. Thanks!

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

swap

not a good comparison but i put a front crossmember out of a 1985 suburban in to a 1959 1/2 chevy truck frame .check your frame width and ride height.i had to use 2x4 blocks to space it up to get a level height i did not want it in the weed's

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry Rick, since both trucks are 2WD's the cross member and all the related suspension out of the '87 will bolt right on the '77. Even the steering boxes and pitman arms will interchange but they do use different hose connections. The '77 box will have flare style fittings on the pressure and return hose, the '87 box will use an O-ring type hose connection. This is an easy fix too as you just use the '87 hoses and change the fitting in the back of the power steering pump over to an O- ring style connection.If you have the '87 pump, just screw the fitting out of the pump and screw it in the pump on your '77. If you scrounging the bone yards all you gotta remember is this: '79 and older trucks use the flare style fittings and the '80 and newer trucks use the O-ring set up. This applies to 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons and all the trucks, Blazers and Suburbans too. Also, if your using the thicker 1 1/4" rotors off the Sub, make sure you also use the spindles and calipers off it too as their different inorder to allow for the thicker rotor.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

The only concern I have, is I noticed that the center link off the 87 uses a lock nut at the pitman arm while the 77 has the castle nut/cotter pin. The reason for the complete swap was the bigger rotors to slow the 454 that will be installed this summer. If summer ever gets here in southeast PA.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, some use a castle nut with a cotter pin and others use just a locking nut, but all the pitman arms and the center links will interchange from '73 to '91 on a Suburban or Blazer.