1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front coils

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SCSIndust, Apr 15, 2003.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Hey all,

I wanted to upgrade the front coils in my 86 bronco. Could I replace them with f250 springs of the same year/era? I don't want airbags, because it is mostly a plow truck. Any other suggestions?

2. johngus

johngus Senior Member

The F250 had leaf springs in 4x4 applications.Your best bet is quality replacement stock coils and put the air bags in them.This way when your not plowing the truckwill ride stock and when plowing just pump some air in the bags.I see lots of TTB 1/2 ton Fords set up this way and hear it works very well.

3. intimidator

intimidator Member

What I've always done in the past was go to a suspension shop and get springs 1" taller than stock to compensate for the added plow weight. Still rides good with or without the plow.

Jason

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I was planning on going to a junk yard and getting springs. The truck is really only a plow truck that we drive around during the year to keep it running. It is really rusted, and beat so I don't want to spend a lot because we never know when it will fall apart...

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could try a set of F250 coils out of a 2WD.You would have to make sure they are the same diameter,and close in height.Not sure how much lift it will give you,but probably an inch or two.