1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle weight

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plow6.7, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Plow6.7

Plow6.7 Junior Member
    from Ravenna

Picked up a new western mvp3 8'6 and stopped by the cat scales. Front axle said 6520 and my truck has a 6000lb front axle. Truck is a 14 ram 3500 cummins. Will this cause a problem?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

You'll be fine.

3. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Are you running ballast? Get some weight *Behind* your rear axle.

4. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

From everything I've been told the truck will handle it just fine. Do you know what the plow weighs? Just curious, I picked up an '11 2500 Cummins last year and looked at putting a plow on it for awhile. Found that nothing is "recommended" outside of the plain old 8' blades.

5. Plow6.7

Plow6.7 Junior Member
    from Ravenna

When I weighed it I didn't have any in bed. I think the plows 960 if I recall. The local place that installed didn't make any mention of it being too much, just told me nice truck haha

6. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Good to know. If I pull the trigger on a plow for mine, it'll be an 810/wideout. Same ballpark weight. I figured worst case, I'll just install myself. Post up a pic!

7. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I was told any of the plows can go on a new ram 5500 lb springs on 6.4 , 6000 lb on cummins . I am ordering a 3500 and a 9.6 xv2 is going on it

8. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Your Dana 60(?) front should take the weight. It's similar to most the overloaded half-tons running around.
    Premature wear on the front bjs, bearings bushings, etc.

If you can get some ballast behind the axle, you may be able to get enough weight off the front to get you back into spec. It's probably the cummins putting you over weight. The Hemi is probably light enough to keep everything in check.

9. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

That is what was getting me into trouble trying to match the hefty plows to mine. No big deal for the Hemis.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

It's only a problem if you get into an accident and the overloaded front axle is discovered. Then you're in some deep chit.

With that said, I run an 8'2" Boss DXT with wings on my 2500/Cummins truck and have no issues.

11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It's an AAM axle not a Dana. They haven't run Dana axles in a pickup for more than a decade.

12. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Easy diesel motor take all of thé Axel weight
    almost ... That's why for plowing its better
    to use gas motor if your concern .. Sometimes You get
    Premature trouble .... But i'm still getting diesel
    for my second truck ...

13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Been running an mvp on my 06 for 9 years now. Other than replacing ball joints with Moog its handled the weight just fine. I also run about 800#'s in the back.

14. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

I know, but is concern is weight above is rating its normal without the plow
    the motor itself takes almost the whole rating,ballast wont change the weight in front its only for traction,

15. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

I run 1200 's in back still drops 3/4 " in front

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder what front axle weights in with a 9-6 MVP3 with wings. Just short of 11-6.

My truck is 2014 CC PSD 350, I do carry 200 gals of diesel and a heavy tool box. I did manage to twist out the axle about a month ago.

17. 512high

512high Senior Member

Hi guys, My two cents, I have a 1997 Ford F-350, power stroke(solid axle), door truck has it stamped 4,800 gvw front. I bought the truck brand new, that same year in 97' I had a spring shop "add" an extra leaf to the front and rears. I have a 8 ft. MM1 straight blade, I am going to put the new fisher V2 on this summer, **however, fisher e-match says I need a 5,000 front gvw, so I called spring shop back, explained, he chuckled, and said by adding that extra leaf to the front, I gained about 725 lbs per side, so i'm not a dodge person, not sure if they use springs or coil springs....again just my two cents

18. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

This is how a lever works...

[​IMG]

Ballast *Behind the rear axle* unloads the front. Ever stick 800# of sand only behind the rear wheels? It affects braking and steering.

While 7-800# of sand behind the rear axle doesn't shed an equal amount off the front, it still will take a considerable amount of weight off that axle. And yes, it also adds traction weight to the rear.

That's why it's called 'Ballast'

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

PlowWeight1.jpg

20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Your spring shop isn't quite right. Sure you stiffened up the front end but your axle is still only rated for 4800 pounds. That being said I don't believe for a minute the 200 pound difference in rating is going to matter