1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle weight upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EXR, Aug 23, 2010.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I have been wondering for some time what can be done to improve the front end strength.

I have had gussets welded to the control arms but I'd be interested in finding out if there is a way to really beef the gm front end up to handle an extra 800-1000lb to @ 5600-5800lb front axle weight.

I have a 8.5MVP and would like to down the road get a 9.5 MVP and add wings.

I'm sure im not the only would be down for an upgrade..

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The only thing is, no matter what you do, its still not gonna change what the sticker on the door says, so your screwed no matter what if you get pulled over...

3. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I've heard that you can change the weight rating on your ownership if you do a suspension upgrade..someone had it done on the rear end of a F150 and raised the weight class.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Most states don't allow you to change the weight ratings anymore.

5. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I'm in Canada dude...

I was getting my info 2nd hand so I don't know how accurate it is.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The gussets, along with code XG torsion bars and Timbrens is about all you can do. And stay away from extended/crew cabs. Plenty of guys running big plows on GM IFS trucks, many with diesels.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You can change the weight rating on your ownership to whatever you want... and if your doing it right, you should have ALREADY have changed that weight to the total weight of your truck plus the total weight of your trailer... As if its stock 4,000 someot KG's, thats a ticket right there as soon as you hook your trailer on cause your overweight by your GCVWR right there...

My trucks registered weight on the ownership is 11,000 kg's, not pounds...

Dosent mean i can add any more weight to the front end tho, whatever the sticker on the door says is set in stone... unless you find a way to change that....

8. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Ya I did that at the MTO office for my truck and trailer total weight when I had my renewal..

Maybe with the 2011 HD being out the aftermarket will figure out a way to utilize that technology to the previous gen trucks.

I've heard plenty of people say you're fine with a big plow on an IFS front end however I've also heard plenty say you are risking it. I've been ok so far with 2 gm's and 8.5 V's but this is my 1st diesel crew cab and I do not want to bust it.