1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Axle Weight Issue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I bought a little Toyota Tacoma crew cab and want to put a plow on it. Today I weighed the truck and the front axle. I found that I only have 277 lbs. to go before I max out my front axle weight rating. I was looking at some small light plows like the Fisher Homesteader, Blizzard 680LT, or a Curtis HomePro but all of them weigh somewhere in the 400 lb. range. I'm no expert but if I put enough ballast behind the rear wheels, will I get enough weight re-distribution so that I am within spec? What do you think?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes thats correct in theory ,

heres a few problems,

if the plow is that light weight , id be willing to bet it will have a hard time scrapping snow... it migth just float over it
    , so i would be interested in a snowway with DP to counter it

you will not be able to hit anything hard as a result of a homeowner style plow

which brings me to my next question , what do you intead on plowing with it?
  3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I'm going to plow just a few driveways with it. Nothing big.