1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Axle U-Joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RONK, Aug 14, 2011.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

My front axle u-joints have to be replaced again for the fourth time on my 05 Dodge/Cummins 2500,has anyone had similar problems?
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The Dodge buy and buy front ends parts....
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the factory aam joints suck. i upgraded mine to spicers after going through a few sets of the oems. there were around 60 bucks a pop from northerndrivetrain
  4. RichG53

I don't understand Why Dodge has not fixed this Issue...

Their front ends(components) have been junk for some time..
  5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Napa premium in my 03
  6. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

if they would only redesign the front end the trucks, they would be perfect. Just got done putting $1500 in the front end of my 2006 2500
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I know what I would change, someday I may make those changes....
  8. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Both fronts went around 60k miles, they started making noise and within a couple of days the crosses were worn down to little nubs. One unit bearing started howling around the same time. Updated to the spicer joints and put on a free spin hub kit: then 40k trouble free miles. The joints still look new.

My vote is to do a spin kit and be done.
  9. Josh31

Josh31 Junior Member

I have to change one every year . This year its the right side. Gotta love them Dodge's!
  10. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

I have a 2010 2500 pw. I replaced the axle joints at 35000 and now the stering box at 40000.
    I like my truck though.
  11. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i replaced a drivers side last year at 120k

replaced ball joints and outer tie rod ends last week at 145k also replaced pass side u joint.

i go with precision u joints with grease zerks. grease your stuff and they will last, im talking greasing everything every 3k miles. grease is cheap, parts arent.
  12. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

what was your truck doing that made you relize the steering box needed replaced? mine is making a clunking noise when i start or stop and hit bumps. just replaced bal, u and tie rod ends and now this starts. i was thinking and hoping it was just the steering damper. what did the steering box cost?
  13. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Dodgesprt, mines doing the same thing, popping when hitting bumps
  14. RichG53

No wonder they say Dodge in the Garage !!!....Ha,Ha..

I would not be very happy with the problems you guys are having ..
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Carli Ball Joints or Dynatech makes a nice set - replace once and never again
    Free Spin Kit - A few out there, Gain 2mpg
    Steering Box Brace
    Thuren/Top Gun Customz/etc Track bar
    Spicer Triple Seal U-Joints
    Greasable Tie Rod Ends

Do this and you'll have a bulletproof front end, looking at about $3,000 in parts.

??? Never heard that one before. I'll take a few ball joints over a ton of electrical problems, no ground clearance, a weak front end, body panels made of tin foil, gaps between panels the size of the grand canyon, and interior made of lego's. Granted Dodge had crappy interiors from 06-08. They all have problems, but the front end issues of some Dodge's aren't any worse than those of Ford/GM's.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  16. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i replace far more ford ball joints than i do dodge ball joints at my shop. i do this for a living, and fords are more trouble on ball joints and trannys than dodges are, just an honest observation...
  17. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Steering box Brace? Where would i find one of those? I have just about everything else in your list but no one has ever recomended the brace before.
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They make a good brace, there are a few on ebay as well. 8lugtruckgear.com and topguncustomz.com has a lot of good replacement parts for these trucks. Made for heavy off roading so they are great replacements for a one and done type of deal.

There is also conversion kits for the track bar to "upgrade" to the 3rd & 4th Gen style track bar. The 2nd gens use a ball joint on one end that basically wears out in a couple hundred miles where the 3rd&4th gens just use a bushing. Buying the adapter along with an aftermarket track bar is the best way to solve that issue as well.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  20. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

My 2004 2500 Hemi Regular Cab ate 4 sets of front axle u joints in 28K miles . Traded in the truck when the 7yr warranty was up .
    I think the steering box was having issues when I traded it .
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011