1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front axle swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brokaw24, Apr 7, 2002.

1. brokaw24

brokaw24 Junior Member

anyone have any advice on swapping a dana 60 front axle in a 98 1500?I need an axle out of a ford 1 ton years 86 through 97 or ford 3/4 ton years 78 to 79.any feedback on this?
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a little :confused: here.

That will give you an 8-lug wheel on the front, which the rear end of a 1500 doesn't have. Besides which, the 1500 won't have leaf springs up front to bolt the Dana 60 to.

Please explain the project and intended use of your truck in a bit more detail and it will be easier to provide helpful info.
  3. brokaw24

brokaw24 Junior Member

There is a company that makes a installation kit for the axle swap,all bolt on.i already have a 8 lug 14 bolt for the rear,haven't put it on yet,waiting for front axle.The truck is a daily driver that i take wheeling on the weekends.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

By the sound of it, you've got most of the bases covered already. Other than the obvious point of making sure the gear ratio in the front axle you get matches the rear one you have now, I can't really add a whole lot - my experience is with the 73 - 87 trucks.

I take it the reason the "F-word" ( ;) ) axle is required is to have the "pumpkin" on the proper side to match the '98 transfer case?
  5. brokaw24

brokaw24 Junior Member

yes thats correct the "F" word axle is on the drivers side.
  6. blzn74

blzn74 Member

I have a buddy that converted his 99 tahoe to a straight axle in the front, with dana 60 front off a "f"word. First we had to torch, grind , and remove off all the old IFS bracketry, watch out for the brake lines, then when it was down to just pure frame, We had to custom make brakets for the front of the leaf spring mounts to the frame and drill holes in the frame to mount the (rear) front shackles . My buddy oppted for Crossover steering at the same time, and when everything was said and done he had about 15" of lift with 39.5 boggers, I'll try and get a picture uploaded.

7. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I think the company that makes the kit is off road unlimited.I've seen their kits in 4x4 magazines.Looks like a real nice kit