1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle reserve capacity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by All Trades, Oct 31, 2003.

1. All Trades

All Trades Junior Member
    from Iowa

I was helping a friend of mine figure how much plow he could put on his truck using the calculations from the chevy owners manual. The numbers are on the drivers door,( lower right corner small numbers). Are these reserve amounts figured assuming the truck is empty or full? We came up with 1150 lbs of reserve on the front. This tells me we could easily put an 8ft plow, 700 to 750 lbs and still have room to spare. The truck is an 03 chevy ext cab 1500. Am I missing something? lots of people dont agree with plowing with a 1/2 ton truck. Thanks in advance for your input.

Todd

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Remember that the plow will be hanging 4 feet in front of the truck, so it will make the front end become even heavier than the plow unit itself.

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

has the truck itself been weighed on a scale to calculate these numbers??

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Also just thought of something else... you also to have factor the weight of yourself in the truck cab as well. So that will add up to front axle limiting capacity. Not to mention the tools and essential supplies you may be carry in the cab too.

5. All Trades

All Trades Junior Member
    from Iowa

The owners manual has some calculations that take the distance out in front of the axle and the wheelbase into this 1150lbs figure. It tells you how to use the numbers on the door to calculate this formula. I was also told by someone (possibily the dealer???can't remember for sure) that the manufacturer is assuming there will be a 200lb person in each of the 6 seats when the reserve numbers were calculated. I just dont want to overload the truck but between a light duty 7-6 and a pro 8-0 there is only 100 or so lbs differance, and either would fit into this reserve amount, so why do most stay away from pro duty 8-0 blades on 1/2 ton trucks.

Thanks again!!

Todd

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most 7.5 ft blades,or a lighter 8.0 ft like a Snoway will work fine on the front of that truck.You would probably need to add Timbren load boosters,a few turns on the torsion bars,and some ballast in the rear to help pull some weight off the front axle.

7. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Suggestion, stick with what the Plow desinger reccomends, common sense tells me a 1/2 ton truck with like a 6000LBS GVWR can not support 11500 on the IFS front endl. My F-450 with a GVWR of 15,000lbs has a front axel GAWR of like 5500lbs and that is a solid axel with leaf springs.

As for plowing with a 1/2 ton truck... your driveway, neighbors driveway during a storm few times a year, that might be fine. I do not, or have not seen anyone who is plowing for a living using a 1/2 ton truck. After my encounters with other set ups, any of my trucks or anyone plowing for me would have to be doing it with a 3/4 ton or better.

8. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

You would probly be pushing it with an 8'pro plow.
    Thats just my opion. If he were going to be doing any serious plowing I would recomend a 3/4 ton or larger truck.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

From western and fischer---- the front axle should not hold more than 63% of the total truck weight including accesories, cargo and occupants .

10. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

you can use 62% of the reserve capacity. Once you exceed that percentage that is where ballast comes into play. Anything over that will effect your braking and handling.