1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle misalignment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by smokley455, Dec 7, 2007.

1. smokley455

smokley455 Junior Member

Working on a 1979 Chevy 1/2ton 4 x 4 Just did an add-a-leaf for a little lift and put some 35" tires on my truck. I have now noticed that the front drivers tire is noticeably forward about an inch compared to the passenger side. It must have been like this before and just more pronounced now with the larger tires. Just added the leaf and new pin (seems to be in place.) What would cause this condition? Want to get this fixed and get a good front end alignment with the new tires A.S.A.P.

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you got the center bolt located correctly in the axle, and everything is tightened evenly. I would be checking for twisted frame or body/fenders are not mounted straight.What are you using to reference the tire being forward an inch? Body or frame ?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  3. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

You either have something misaligned when you added a spring or something in the front is bent(frame,spring shackle,etc....) One way to check is to break out the tape measure and check both sides.
  4. smokley455

smokley455 Junior Member

Measuring from rear axle to front axle on both sides . . . . . there is about an inch difference. When I measure from the pin on the drivers side (ass best I can) to the front leaf mount mount (following the curve of the spring) it is about 3/8" - 1/2" forward compared to the other side. A local shop guy I know says the only thing he can think of is if somebody replaced one side (leaf) only, so they are not a matched set.
  5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

If you can measure the diagonals on the tires or spring mounting points. The two measurements should be the same. One way would be to mark the floor next to the tires, make sure you transfer the same spot on all four tires to the floor. Move the truck and check the two diagonal measurements, they should be the same. This will be a start. A shop that does 4 wheel alignment should be able to check it also.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

check front hanger bushings at rear of springs. comon after min 30k miles. or bent shakles. if so look at www.offroaddesign.com for greasable kits and hd shakles.

or if non of that check frame rails just under the firewall. i have seen a few frames break there bad.