1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Axle Load Support

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ray, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I’ve been looking at 3 different load supports for the front of my 2012 F250 4x4. The 3 that I have found are manufactured by Timbern, Air-lift Air Cell and Super Springs Sumo. I had Timrens on my 2000 F250 so I am familiar with them, but they all seem to mount the same way and provide the same function. My questions are, is there really any difference other than the material that they are made of? The Timberns are the most expensive of the 3, are they really worth almost $50 difference?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Timbrens just help.with loaded weight.
    Air springs or air helpers will help the ride no matter loaded or unloaded. They also help you to carry more weight.
    Springs, will allow more weight as well but usually come with a stiffer ride drawback. All are good options. Up to the owner in the end
  3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Where did you price them from? I just put some on for a fraction of the quoted price local.
    I got them from etrailer.com
    Note: free shipping runs on and off all the time...
  4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Be careful with etrailer. I had horrible experience with them. Ordered brake hubs and breakaway kit for a trailer. They packed all in one box. The hubs, naturally, destroyed the plastic kit. Contacted etrailer, they pretty much said o well, we can't control what happens during shipping. They have not seen another cent from me since, nor will they ever.
  5. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Hello k1768-sorry to hear of you bad experience, mine has been just the opposite. Have been my go to trailer and lighting co for 5 yrs. Have always resolved any issues quickly by e-mail request. Sometimes my fault sometime theirs. I normally do not get involved in something like this, but they have taken such good care of me, I felt the need, Sorry!
  6. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

Well I ended up ordering Air Lift air bags for the front. They were almost half the price that I found for the Air Lift Load Cells. I will update how they are after I get them and they are installed.
  7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Will be very interested to hear about them - take some pics under there while putting them in.
  8. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

Major Dave, I will do my best to get pix. Hopefully they will be here for next wwekend.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I guess why?
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'll never install another t of Timbrens.

I will spend money on airbags however.
  11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

-what's the cost difference Mark? I've never had a pair. Are they always operational? Meaning always in support or like Timbrens only when a load bears down?
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

None of them will increase your fgwr

The cheapest and easiest are the timbrens

Some will blame the add on's for there over loading of their truck and the failure

Air bags have to be plumed separately ,
    They fail ( leak)

If you want something you can forget about & never adjust get the timbrens
    I've use them on 3 different trucksThumbs Up
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  13. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a price break down for a 2012 Superduty
    Airlift air bags $77 shipped
    Airlift air cell $134 shipped
    Sumo springs $168 shipped
    Timbrens $214 shipped

If I don't like the air bags I can always get the air cells and still be cheaper than Timbrens.
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Wow, the price for the timbres is twice as much as I paid for mine.
    I wouldn't get them ether at that price ether
  15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Anyone know of any front air bags for a 03 Dodge Ram 3500?
    My other options are Air Lift AirCell, SumoSprings, Firestone Work-Rite, or Timbrens. All are solid rubber type, no air despite the name. They are all about the same price. What one is smother out of the solid versions if I can't get air bags?
  16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Where did ya get yours SnoFarmer? Sums are about the same...haven't heard about the others, but they are all chances of rubber! I do need to get for the Superduty and the Dodge.
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Strange, nothing listed for the '03.

Try calling Michigan Truck Spring, here they are for an '02:

Their tech support is pretty good.
  18. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Ray, is there a reason you wanted additional support?

The 11+ F250 have a FGAWR of 6k on the Dana 60, and with the plow package 5940# or 6000# spring rates.

With 760# of ballast behind the axle, my front only dips ~1" when I lift that 960# XV2. Heck, the extra weight makes it ride much better.

If the springs can't take it, you're overloading your axle.