1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle leak

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by leprechaun_50, Jan 12, 2003.

1. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 Member
    from SW Minn

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango that is leaking gear lube from the vent hose on the right side of the axle. This hose runs up from the right front axle and mounts by the top of the radiator. When the weather is cold the gear lube leaks (is pumped) out of this tube. There is a check valve ? or breather cap at tha end of the hose. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks.

2. DIESELRAM30

DIESELRAM30 Member

YOUR CHECK VALVE AT THE END OF THE HOSE COULD BE CLOGGED NOT ALLOWING YOUR REAR TO BREATH, IN TURN CREATING PRESSURE IN YOUR DIFF AND ALLOWING THE FLUID TO COME OUT OF THE HOSE. I WOULD START BY REPLACING THE CHECK VALVE

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't believe there is any check valve in that tube.There is just a cap assy to keep out the dirt,and allow it to vent.

I have seen unit with contaminated oil or overfilled axles tend to puke out the fluid.A small axle or pinion seal leak may let water in causing the fluid to foam.Overloading and\or overheating of the axle will also cause fluid to puke from the vent.

I'd check the fluid level and quality\condition first.Change it and see what happens.