1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Axle Joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NSRoadEng, May 10, 2008.

1. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

Just found out my 06 RAM 3500 needs both front axle joints replaced (and two ball joints). The 06/07 winter I only plowed a few driveways and 1 km of paved private road, for maybe 5 or 6 storms. This past 07/08 winter I had about 20 driveways and 3 km of private paved roads. We had about 15 storms here in Nova Scotia last winter. For a new one ton truck, I am kinda surprised that they wore out that fast - but I guess its part of the business. It is a lot of driving and turning in 4x4. I wonder if this will be a yearly maintenance thing?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think you'll need to change them out yearly. When I changed mine out I was pretty surprised that Dodge didn't bother to have grease fittings on them. My new parts had grease zerks so now I keep them lubed all the time and I haven't had a problem since.
  3. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Don't feel bad. My 04.5 2500 needed ball joints and such at 66k after the first year of plowing. I only plowed 2 storms that year, about 8 accounts each. I went with the Moog problem solvers which are greaseable.
  4. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Dodge had problems with the front joints, I was on my 5th set on my old truck at 135,000 miles. Did the ball joints at 75000 miles
  5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

the front joints arent super great but with alot of salt no joints will last. as far as the ball joints ALL DODGE CHEVY AND FORD have spec's as far as a max movement for the joint on 1-ton cummin's its like .060" TOTAL for uppers. which useually they are well under. ask your dealer to spec the ball joints prior to replacement.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It may have nothing to do with the weight of your plow but your driving habits instead.

Do you turn the wheels all the way to the stops a lot?
    You know making sharp turns while plowing?
    I know you would think a 3500 could take it and it should.
    I'm getting around 50k out of a set of ball-joints and 2 years out of axel-joints in my 2500's

Good thing it's still under warranty...;)