1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Feb 9, 2004.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 86 F250 and want to change the front axle to solid straight front. How big of a job id it and what axle do I look for? Thanks for any help.:)

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

You want a Dana 60 from a 1986-199? F350 straight axle, with the carrier bar and bracket, and with the whole steering linkage up to and including the pitman arm. Other than that it is a bolt on job. Thats the good news, the bad news is they are almost impossible to find used for under $1000. Although I just had 2 that I sold for $700 a piece that needed a little work each. Make sure you get the same ratio as the rear axle or forget 4wd. You want the kingpin style knucle axle, not the newer ball joint style. Although the newer one may work also, the older kingpin style is stronger. You can get all the info you need on this and more at this site, do some searching. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

With general tools and knowledge, it could be done in 4 hours, quicker if you are good. Its pretty simple

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget about new U-bolts. If you plan on using your existing springs, you will experience a 2-3" lift in fornt. This will affect your steering caster angles. You will also want to install rear add-a-leafs to compensate for this.

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I don't want the truck any higher then it is now. The truck now has 33" tires and still plenty of wheel well room and it stock. I gather the other springs don't have as much of an arch? Is there any place off hand that sells them. I have a friend thats trying to get one for me know but nt a guarantee. Thanks for the help.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It is not about the spring level. It is moreso about the size of the new axle in comparison to the old D-50.