1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front axle concerns

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by docjones, Nov 16, 2010.

1. docjones

docjones Junior Member
    from WV

Hey everyone. Another newbie question. Thanks in advance for the advice. I found a great deal on a Fisher 8' HD. I have a 1995 F250. I think I have a light duty front end though because the front axle weight ratio is only 3850 lbs. I was surprised to see that. I assumed a 3/4 ton truck to be able to handle this plow. Can someone tell me if I need to look at putting another axle on this thing like a Dana 60 or add something to beef up front end or will this truck handle this plow ok? I really don't have money to dump into a lot more than what I've invested so far. I have one commercial account lined up and will be looking for more as season goes on. It's a little late now but should I have looked harder for a 7 1/2' plow instead?

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I would look into upgrading the front springs and shocks; add some timbrens for now and run about 700lbs of ballast and it should work. The TTB front end is not the best for a plow but if you take it easy it'll do the job. The dana 60 swap is the best choice butpayup $$$$

3. docjones

docjones Junior Member
    from WV

Talked to Timbren this morning. They said adding their suspension kit will increase my front end load capacity by 3000 lbs. That will bump me up to load capacity total to 6850(3850+3000). Still doesn't address the light axle. Oh well. Will do my best to be careful. So what spcifically happens to these Dana light duty axles while plowing? Is it gonna snap into pieces? When you say be careful, I'm guessing you mean don't turn to tight with a load, ramming snow piles, etc, right? Thanks guys.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

there was a light duty and heavy F250 in 1995 (most were heavy duty). the light duty had the dana 44, the heavy duty had the dana 50. both were 8 lug, both were the TTB (twin traction beam) design. there should be a 44 or a 50 stamped on the differential housing. an easier way to identify is to look at the hub sticking through the rim. if the hub fills the entire opening of the hole in the rim, then its a dana 50. if it is smaller, than its a dana 44. neither axle has a good reputaion, but the dana 50 is the stronger of the two. the axle housings where the leaf springs mount are known to crack. they are also difficult axles to keep properly aligned and have a reputation of eating tires. best thing to do is find a dana 60 out of a 86-97 F350.

i ran a 1986 f250 with a dana 50 TTB that plowed since new up until 2 years ago. personally i never had any issues, but from what i understand i'm in the minority. i recently helped my brother put a dana 60 under his 96 F250. very straight forward job. hardest part is removing the 250 axle.

5. docjones

docjones Junior Member
    from WV

Really appreciate the responses. I will just go with the Timbrens for now and cross my fingers for this year on this axle. I've been looking in classifieds for a Dana 60 axle...wow are they pricey. I gues what is pricier though is having your truck down and making no money.