1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front axle assembly went bad

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Jan 27, 2009.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I was just told that the front axle assembly went bad from a trusted mechanic. The truck is a 99 1500. Is this something common that goes wrong. Something was grinding loudly and leaked out all over the driveway.

2. if it is gear oil it will have a very strong difinitive smell, something like diesel fuel(does not smell the same the lingering odour) That truck probably has the 8.5 front axle. they fail commonly (especially when plowing or 4x4 more then a little) they are reasonable to rebuild and realitively easy to find in a wrecking yard for a fair price.

3. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

It did smell like gear oil. Found a different one to put in.

4. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

that happened on our 2002 2500hd at about 25000 they said something must have been left in at assmebly and kick up into the diff.

5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Front axle assembly went bad is a very vague description. There are a lot of parts in an axle that can go "bad". Just because one part failed doesn't mean the whole axle is junk.

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It's not a 8.5. The front 1500 diff is 8.25 ring gear and well known to be a weak point. 2500 & 3500 is 9.25 and very durable. Unfortunately, not easy to upgrade to the 9.25 due to different mount points and overall design. Since you already found a new one to put in, you are doing exactly what I would do in your situation.

7. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

A carrier bearing did some damage. Enough for the seal not to do it's job. All fixed and buttoned up. Works like it should again.

8. Aeronutt, good catch on the .5 to .25 new it was 8 and something, my 96 3\4 ton has the 8.25 axle are all the 99 and newer chevs the 9.25 i was told it hit and miss in the 88-98 what front end you have, the rear is similar there is a large and small 14 bolt, mine has the small(sorry for taking over your thread) thoose carrier bearings are a pain in the butt, at least they are cheap.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Yes, we are getting off subject but... The 99+ 3/4 and 1-tons are for sure going to have the 9.25 front gear. I'm not sure about earlier trucks. The large and small 14-bolt you mention is actually a common mis-naming. The only axle officially called a "14-bolt" was the older Chevy axle that was manufactured by GM and is instantly recognized by the removable pinion section that bolts to the front of the pumpkin. What the late model Chevy trucks are using does coincidentally have 14 bolts holding the cover on, but it is incorrect to call them a 14-bolt axle. They are either the AAM 1050 (American Axle Manufacturing 10.50 inch ring gear) or the AAM 1150 (yes, that's 11.5 inch ring gear) and both axles are significantly better axles than the GM Corporate 14-bolt IMHO. Dodge also buys these AAM axles for their trucks. For comparison, the legendary heavy duty Dana 60 axle only has a 9.5 inch ring gear. All diesel powered Chevy trucks come with the 1150. All dually trucks regardless of engine also come with the 1150. The bearings used and the axle shaft diameters/spline counts are the same for all variants of the 1150 with only shaft length and hub depths changing between SRW and DRW trucks. In single rear wheel configuration, these rear axles are physically capable of MUCH more weight capacity than what Chevy rates them for due to the tires being the weakest link. This means that aftermarket dually conversion adapter kits coupled with airbag helper springs might technically put you overweight, but you are in no danger of breaking anything. Wow, I just got off on a wild tangent.... now back to our previously scheduled programming... :jester:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only if it's a 6 lug 3/4 ton. All true 8600 GVWR 8 lug trucks used the 9.2 front diff regardless of year.

Which were all also AAM built assemblies. ;)

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the D60's are 9.75"...but we won't split hairs. :D

12. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

When I post an opinion anything goes, but when posting facts I try to post 100% accurate facts. The hair needed to be split. :drinkup: Thanks for catching it.