1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Axle Actuator Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Working on a 1994 3500. Basically have the truck torn apart going through the bs to make it right for the flight this winter. Have a couple of questions.
    -Noticed on my '95 3500 when I engage the 4wd its instant where as the others Chevy's take some time. Bought the 95 used so not sure what actuator is in it. Would anyone have a part number for an instant on for 1 ton trucks? I know the 1 ton actuators differ from a 1/2 ton.

-To change the pinion seal if I index the nut and flange with a center punch will I have problems? Don't really feel like messing with a crush collar.

-Noticed the axle seals are leaking. Had the differential standing up on end and noticed a nice puddle. I have the seals and researched it but opinions vary. From what I see the axles simple are held in with an internal clip. To remove the axles its either a slide hammer or a rap with a BFH. However there is a thrust washer on the passenger side and the axle needs to be engaged otherwise it slips out of place. Anyone shed some light on that? Ideally I would like to remove the extension collar for an easier install into the truck.
  2. wva

wva Member

hey you might want to checkout the 4x4 posi-lok axle engagement system at 4x4 pos-lok.com it does away with the problem
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Saw that but seems a little pricey. Looking for a cheaper way out.
    Removed the axles and went fairly easy. I did engage the 4wd but didn't seem to matter as I looked in the tube and saw 2 thrust washers floating around. I guess I'll remove the tube to make installation back into the truck a tad easier. In theory the thrust washers should hold in place with a dab of grease upon assembly.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Found what I was looking for. Dorman part 600-600 wire harness $37.96 and actuator 600-101 $66.13 from amazon.com. About 1/2 the price of posi-lok and same results. IMO less labor involved.