1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front and rear axle swap help please...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by claymonster, Jan 10, 2005.

1. claymonster

claymonster Junior Member

I am kinda dumb to drivetrain tech and I am wondering if i can do the following: I have a 86' k5 blazer with a 350 and 700r4 and np205 t-case, is this a 1/2 ton ( i am guessing it is) and if so i have the opportunity to buy a front and rear 3/4 ton axles of a 1990 suburban with 4.11 gears will these bolt right up to my truck or will it be extensive thanks for help.

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

The leaf spring widths are different so you might need to bring them along with the other stuff. Front axles have the same innards, backing plates, calipers, etc. are bigger. It would be easier to swap complete axles than to change out components. Measure you center to center of spring eyes before you decide. I know a guy who swapped to a 3/4 ton short bed 4x4. Can't be to hard. Good luck!

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This topic has been discussed on here before, even recently. Do a search for more information.