1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

From stock, to a plow rig! and a couple mods along the way!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by pooleo8, Jul 22, 2011.

1. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I picked up this Ranger for plowing. I traded an MXZ600 for the '96 STX. About a month prior I traded off my '92 Phazer for a 6'6 sno-way poly plow with mount from an S-10. First thing I did was remove the bumper and cut off the bumper mounts from the frame. I had to fab up some brackets that bolted to the frame, then bolted the S-10 mount to that. Next mod was to fab up a bumper. I built this twin tube guy with a bull bar. I also installed the rear bumper which I built years ago and once used it for a driveway drag..hehehehe. I did some interior mods which included a full lenght center console out of an explorer, along with the power seats. At that time I also ripped out the old nasty carpet and installed a rubber floor. I installed a digital volt meter in the dash. I also built a light bar, I decided that I needed to secure the bed. Theft is high around here and sure didn't want my sh!t getting ripped off. So I built a diamond plate tono cover. Last summer I replaced 3 of the shackle mounts. I have one to do this year. I also added Full-Length James Duff traction bars this year. 2 years of plowing and I decided that the stock 3.27gear was not going to cut it. In Feb of '11, I went thru the entire drive train. New clutch with HD pressure plate and a new slave cyl. Replaced all drive shaft u-joints. New axle shaft U-joints. New Ball Joints (U/L). Inner axle bearings, Tie-rods. I went ahead and swapped out the gear sets. Installed 3.73 front and back and added a L/S in the rear. I plan to add disc brakes in the rear to help with stopping. Drum brake FTL!

Day 1
    [​IMG]

The Plow with piece of conveyor belt
    [​IMG]

New clutch
    [​IMG]

New Gear
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Tono Cover
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Interior Mods
    OHC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

edit......

8. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Nice work man....very nice set up, love the interior

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice Ranger and plow set up.

10. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Truck looks great. cool idea for the bed cover.

11. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

like the interior work and diamond plate cover

12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Nice work. How does it peel up the snow? The angle of the cylinders and the plow attack angle looks to me like the mounting on the truck needs to be lower. But, it might just be me.

kevlars

13. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Yeah, its high. When I first had the truck together and mounting the plow I had 205's on it. I then added 245's and did a 2" leveling kit under the spring. That raised the front end abour 4" :eek:

I plan on lowering the mount this fall.

Its nice tho for yards, it just sits on top and scraps, dont dig in at all!

14. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Hey nice to see you joined and found site i told you about

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You could consider getting a set of tires just for plowing, go back to the 205s in a aggressive snow tread. The plow will be twice as effective, won't trip as easily and just preform better in all situations if you get the mounting points down to 8.5/10.5 inches. Do you have a single hole nosepiece or does it have three holes?

16. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

well, I had clearance problems with the 205's anyhow. That was part of the reason for going to a larger tire. The BFG All terrains are an awesome tire in the snow. Ill work on lowering the plow frame.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on plow components, what do you mean by nose piece..?? :blush2:

17. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

yeah! well, signed up here in 2009. I guess I just forgot idk....lol

18. fordzilla

fordzilla Member

i love the look of your ranger, ive had several rangers/b2s over the years, id love you see yours over at fordranger.net to!

19. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

A little update. Go the last shackle bracket done. Installed 2" leveling kit. Repaired rotted out floor. I also used armour roll on bed liner to line the entire cab floor. Installed cab lights aswell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member