1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

From sand to salt to magic?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I made the switch from spreading salt/sand to straight salt this year. So far with one storm, I am very happy with the results. No mess on the pavement, which now is bare blacktop. The mix never did that well. I also think I used less material overall. Tough to compare to last year with only one storm so far and having some new contracts. Now I wonder if magic is that much better than straight. Those who may use both, how do they compare, when do you use magic instead? Thanks for the insight.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I only run Magic.Well worth the $20 more or so per yd. as you only need app. 1/2 of what you need for straight salt and it works faster and will work to app. -35*.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I am going to be giving magic a try next storm. I have been using much more salt on one particular account than i anticipated so I'm looking for a better option.

4. Digger63

Digger63 Member

research and experiment

Don't limit yourself to just one product, if availible try different ones. there are many types of deicer additives out there now compared to years ago. Research them yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions about whats in the product that your spreading around. this forum is a great place to do that.

5. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Anyone have experience with "Clearlane"? Wondering if it is worth the $10 diff a ton over straight salt.