1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

From Gas Hydraulic to Electric Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Jan 25, 2015.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a Swenson Ice Hawk that I want to convert to an electric motor. The one problem I see is that the gas motor spins about 3500rpm. The electric motors spin about 1800rpm. How do I size the pump for 1800?

2. PPP

PPP Member

Pulley Size.

3. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Search the net, there are convention charts out there, and there are plenty of elect. Motors out there that spin close to your gas engine.

4. crawla

crawla Member

I have a motor and wiring in the for sale section if you are interested.

5. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

It seems that since the Ice Hawk is a hydraulic machine there is not a electric motor to replace the 6.5hp engine. The motor does not have enough torque like a gasser to run the system. (thats what I've been told) No pullies gears or chains. Just a pump connected to the engine.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm almost tempted to try it and see what happens.

7. crawla

crawla Member

I'm not familiar with hydro units, do they have a gearbox for the spinner or conveyor?

8. scottr

scottr Senior Member

So, just pull the hydraulic motor off the engine ( or pick up a different one) and mount it under the hood, drive it from the crank, now you have a pully that allows you to "gear" it for speed / output. And you can drive / run all kinds of other stuff from the system. ( need to add a tank, etc ) This is my 7 gpm pump running off my 460

IMG_6238.jpg

9. scottr

scottr Senior Member

front view, just tossing this out as an alternative, I realize not everyone wants to dive in this far.

IMG_6332.jpg

10. scottr

scottr Senior Member

one more installed in the rig.

IMG_7092.jpg

11. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Very nice set up. Please post some pics of your controls.

12. scottr

scottr Senior Member

John, This is a photo of the controls for system in the pictures above, all elect. over hydraulic. center joystick for front plow, rockers for power wings on front plow, yellow toggle runs rear drag plow un & down. This rig is still getting built, I'm close to operational on the front plow. Just need to build my hyd. tank and run some hose. I will also post photos of my current set up ( old school) in cab valvebody, etc. this system has been working for 20 years+

IMG_7320.jpg

13. scottr

scottr Senior Member

This is on my 52 dodge power wagon. 2-spool valve body to run the front plow. The same could be done to run your sander.

IMG_7448.jpg

14. scottr

scottr Senior Member

On my old dodge, I got a little creative for my hyd. tank. Used an old Halon tank, welded my supply and return fittings into the bottom, used a "Scott air pack" valve and gage on top for a vent and painted it up to look like a NOS tank Thumbs Up get all the kids attention. Just a few ideas to share. That's one thing I like about these sites, a guy can get some neat ideas from others. ( or bad ideas )

P1012112.JPG

15. scottr

scottr Senior Member

I don't have a good photo handy of the pump on my dodge, this one sorta show it in the lower right corner. It's a 4 gmp Vickers vane pump driven off the V belt of the 318 Ploy head I installed.

P1011894.JPG

16. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i converted from gas to elect my biggest complaint is the speed of the spinner. would love to have it spin a couple hundred rpm's higher .