1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frist time plowing, Jeep, 2"lift, and Snowsport

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by taterntot101, Dec 20, 2008.

1. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

I finally got to use the Snowsport I bought for my Jeep...LOVE IT!! I'll try to post some pics in a bit, but just wanted to summarize a bit. I have a '98 Jeep, 4cyl,auto, 2" lift, 31" tires. I tossed about 150 lbs of ice melt in the back and off I went. It definitly took some getting used to, because in any sort of a tight spot, you always have to think ahead to what your next move is gonna be, only being able to push forward. I have 2 drives, both uphill from the street (they come to different sides of the house). My drives are both dirt/surepack/gravel. I probably went out 3 or 4 times to scrape. Being my first winter in this house, I wasn't sure what to expect..Actually fully expected to get stuck at LEAST once...but it didn't happen. By the 3rd time, I had a pretty good idea of how to attack the drives, and it got easier with each pass. I actually did a couple of neigbors drives as well. The only downside I found is that my drives are fairly steep, and I have the lift, the plow would actually come off the ground just a little as I crested the hill at the top of my drive and came into the parking area. I'm sure that without the lift this wouldn't be an issue. I fixed the problem by turning around and plowing down the hill. (I would've done this first, but there isn't a lot of room to put the snow at the bottom of the hill.). Overall, a great first impression, and well worth the cost. Now lets see how the rest of the winter treats it...:D

2. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Originally, there was some vertical adjustment that could be made when mounting the frame to the push plate.

I have a newer push plate/ frame setup that I haven't started using yet and I can't remember if there were still multiple mounting holes when I set it up, but you might want to check that you are mounted to the lower holes.

They also make receivers with a dual setup, for mounting a bike rack and also towing. Perhaps you could try one of those units upside down for a lower mount point.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200333969_200333969

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

did you get insurance?

4. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

No insurance, as I wasn't plowing for $$, and didn't drive more than a half mile on the road. I'm not doing any commercial work, actually not even looking for any right now. If I get to a point when I feel I could feasibly take on a few accounts, I'm sure I'd look into it, but for right now it's only for my own use. Because of the ice storm we had a week before the snow, I was scraping neigbors drives that didn't have electricity and weren't home....kind of a good will gesture for a few that were having a hard time of it, no electric, flooded basements, a foot of snow, ect. One less thing they would have to worry about with the holiday season so close at hand

5. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Glad to hear your real happy with your plow. Mine is used all season and it has been trusty!

C.