1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Friends truck "grinding" when accelerating fast...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I was riding in a friend of mine's truck from school today (uncle was borrowing my truck). He has a 2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L auto trans. When we were pulling out of thte lot up a steep"ish" hill, his truck accelerated fine, but made a sort of "grinding" you could feel when he first accelerated- I have no idea what it was, just wondering though- he had no idea either, said it had been doing it for about two or so months. I'm guessing it was something trans related, not sure though, because it didn't seem to always do it- just sometimes :dizzy: Anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The fan hitting the shroud because of a broken motor mount?

3. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

My buddies GMC 2500HD 2003 6.0 truck made a griding vibration when he turned sharp, turned out to be the rear end, had 90,000 miles, he changed the rear end fluid and it hasn't done it since.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

You can like feel the vibration slightly in the floorboards- I'm guessing it's not a slipping trans then?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it only do it in a turn or will it make the noise when accelerating in a straight line also?

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

On my 04' I had a straight line grind/rattle noise. Drove me and dealer nuts for 3 months. Wouldn't do it all the time, but when it did you thought the thing was gunna explode. It ended up being the inside of the muffler came apart. They ended up replacing the whole exhaust system, under warranty at the time.

7. streetsurfin'

Did he check the trans fluid? A low fluid level could cause a shudder in the trans, I think.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Seems like it's only when making a turn, then accelerating up a hill at the same time or soon after turning- not totally sure though, only did it in a turn when I as with him.

9. streetsurfin'

Are these stock tires or oversized? It could even be something as simple as an oversized tire rubbing on a mudflap at full lock. Turning and uphill would indicate compression of one side of the suspension at near full lock. Have him go through full left to right steer qhile parked, and you be outside of the truck looking at clearances. Account for compression of the suspension and see if anything is close to rubbing.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it only does it in a turn I'd bet it has a GovLoc (locking differential) in it then, right?

If so, then it's not uncommon for them to do that when the fluid in the rear end breaks down. The clutches in the Gov Loc's will stick and chatter if the fluid is either low or broken down.