1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

friends and neighbors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Dec 5, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

for plowing isnt turning out too well. seems they want discounts and figure they can call me and i will come over. just had another ask me. the storm was two days ago. the truck is parked. they think i should start it and go out just for them and they shouldnt have to pay much.

turns out the ones i have done well with are the people i didnt know very well. unfortunatley i got rid of most of them a few weeks back though i picked up a few more in the recent storm. the ones that are the worst are the ones i know too well. easier ones are the ones i dont really know and have a apartment building.

guess that is to be expected.

truck is staying parked. also refused to plow another friends driveway again so he isnt happy..
    whatever. should have expected it.

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have the same problem with some of my friends. Seems like it is worse if it snows during the holidays, that is when they come out of the woodwork, and become annoying when they keep calling, and ask when you will be there.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Friends and family, I plow for free or not at all. Same reason I gave my mother in law a house to live in rent free. If I'm doing charity work, it'll be called that from the start.

I've had a couple of neighbors ask. When I give them a price, they say something like "Oh, well, my son in law does it anyway". I've plowed a for a couple of neighbors in the past. Full price, which is why I don't plow for them now. They were apparently expecting some kind of deal.

4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Or you get the call " I live Just Around The corner from you can't you give me a break?" and then they say " I have to be to work by 6:30 and I don't what to drive my new Chrysler through the bank at the end" or "How much to clean out the end of the driveway?" I say the same as is it is to plow the whole damn thing. Those are some of the calls that I get. I have a whole list of them but those are the ones I got today.

5. bribrius

people suck.
    oddly enough i had a previous post on here explaining that i misquoted a person too low on their drive and i dreaded doing it for what i told them.
    The other day when i plowed they ended up being one of the best and nicest to deal with. And the drive wasnt as hard as i originally thought it would be. it wasn't easy. but i wasnt near as bad as i expected. i will raise the price but not too much. they save me in headache value.

6. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I have never had a friend or relative ask me for a discount on my services. Many of them purchase Ice melt from me and insist on paying my price (markup included). As for as neighbors the closest one is 1/4 mile away and he has his own tractor with blade.
    Maybe its time to find some new friends.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I will help out people that have helped me in the past for free or I won't do it at all.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I also do friends and family totally for free and tell my guys NEVER take a tip. I want them to know that they owe me.... wesport

Some figure that if I do it free and they throw my guys a $10 tip that they are even...go figure! :dizzy:

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I do family and friends for free also. But have never had one call and say where are you. And it all came back to me when my truck was wrecked. Everyone was there for me with help plowing and shoveling my accounts while I was down.

10. bribrius

i don't know how any of you guys do it. if i plowed friends and family for free i would spend all my time plowing for free and never make any money. And although some might be concerned and want to help i dont see all my friends getting together to buy me a new transmission when i need one.
    maybe i have too many friends and not the right kind?. :rolleyes:
    only free one is mom. The rest can pay or find another route instead of me. It isn't just the money i am out plowing that persons drive for free it's the time taken away from me being at a drive that is a paying customer.

11. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Freinds & Neighbors

WE all Know! theres Differant Prices for Differant Folks! as My Wifes a Nurse so I Do several Doctors Homes but I Don*t Do their Offices! & when Asked Why? I simpley Reply--YOU can*t Afford ME! & they laugh! I Do a couple of Elderly Neighbors Fee Bees My Favorate Free Bee is a Now Ole school Teacher of Mine in Her 90s? as a very young BOY! of 7 yrs of AGE One of Her Students I was getting Hell! & in Despertion I Hugged Her! & I looked UP at Her & Told Her She Smelled Pretty! & Shes my First Plowing Free Bee & Last On Clean UP where I join Her for Coffee & a Chat & get My usual HUGE & I still tell Her She Smells Pretty! Shes a Spinster & back at the END of the WAR in NAM all the Local Veterans got Together & Rented a HALL & Gave Her a Salute! in Her Honnor! w/ that HALL FULL to the Rafters--One of Our Local HEROS! grabbed the MIKE & Announced!! M/S CATLAND Your BOYS are HOME! over 70 of Her KIDS w/ their Families! WE all watched as She walked to the Mike & What followed was a Pure Miracle? as SHE listed OFF every ONE of Our Names & gave a Complete Run Down of ALL of Our Lives! from School to the Present DAY! Naming Wives & Children & She Stopped for a Moment of PRAYER for Our DEAD! & She turned the Tables from a Gathering to HONOR HER! to ONE that HONORED US! Her KIDS! & to TOP OFF every thing! SHE walked around the Huge HALL & HUGED every ONE of Her Ole Students--over 70 of Them! In a Final GOOD BYE! & there was NOT a Dry EYE in the Place! & to ME? Things Don*t Get any Better than THAT!--OleTower--

12. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I discount my neighbors and some family for the simple reason I cant always get them plowed out at the most convenient times. I either plow them at 3am and they're snowed back in by 8, or I get out to town (The town I plow in, not the town I live in) and start plowing, and cant drop what I'm doing to run back to them and plow 'em out.
    I never accept cash tips from friends and family, I'd think it an insult.:drinkup::drinkup:

13. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

When we moved up her to 9000' the first winter was hell. A Saturn and a GMC Jimmy. When we needed help 2 neighbors we always there day or night. Wore out 2 sets of chains that winter. Now I have the Ram w/ the Sno Way, the IH with the Meyers and the Arctic Cat with the little 5'er so we can always get out. Well, there's about 1/4 mile of road to get to our house which I plow so we can come and go. Last winter (first w/ the blades) I got the "can you plow for me? Your driving right by." Sure $50 should cover it, "But, we're neighbors." But you stared out your window when we were digging the Saturn out or chaining up the Jimmy with no offer of help, so now I get to stare out my truck window while you shovel your driveway. The only 2 neighbors I'll plow for are the 2 that helped us from the beginning, the rest can go rot somewhere. The biggest issue I have are the people who waited too long to hire someone to plow and now can't get a contract for the winter so figure since I have a blade I can do it, then they get PO'd when I tell them the blade is for MY use not for profit. They go off the deep end, had a few screaming at me.

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Immediate neighbors I like or that my kids play with their kids I'll hit the ends of the drive when it looks tough. I'll do this for some beer and pizza. Outside of that inner circle hitting just a skirt is quick easy money and the full drives area a charge. Seniors and those with medical issues get a health break. Residential is not my main money but, it sure can add some quick pocket dough payup

( On the flip I do have a neighbor who was a tool to my kids one Halloween - he's has found that snow storms seem to collect a little more around him :jester: )

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I do the neighbors on either side of me for free when I'm done my paying customers, I refuse payment because I don't want the "where are you" complants. On the flip side I rarely have to cut my own grass.

16. KBerger466

KBerger466 Junior Member

Friends don't ask friends for discounts!

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I dont even bring my plow home. When im done i drop my plow at our office so no one can even ask me, and so i can put my truck in the garage. my house is on the plow list for one of our crews so its cleared before i even get home.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

On the flip side of this if they are my "friend " then i would help any of them for free. My friends in the sub i would never charge but my neighbours thats a different story

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just got a call today from my dad. he said one of our friends wanted to purchase so many pushes from me to give to his daughter and son inlaw for christmas. Like a gift certificate. I was hesistent to say yes. I dont like hiring friends and i dont like doing work for them also. Complicates things sometimes. I gave them good price and he is going to buy 10 pushes. they are close to my house and they are just going to call when they need it done. so I dont have to worry about them until later. I wont do that to much, we will see how it works out..

20. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

I ask for "" friend "" to grab an empty pail and knock on ""neighbors "" doors and ask for contributions . 2 pass max. one up and one down. But there is always one in the bunch that has too much snow on their side.People go haywire round these parts when the flakes fly.