1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Friendly reminder

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 7.3 Plower, Jan 29, 2010.

1. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that the "Change fluid annually" sticker is on your reservoir for a reason. We've got a 2006 F350 6.0 diesel with a 9' Fisher straight blade that froze up solid on dad today. Try to raise or angle the plow and it would just make noise but not move. Took the reservoir off the pump and the filter was frozen solid with ice and there were small chunks of ice floating in the fluid.

This plow worked great up until today when it froze up. Just don't want to see anyone else have this problem. Especially you guys who can lose accounts when your equipment is down.

And yes I'm aware there will be watery fluid in all the cylinders too. It will be completely flushed as soon as we clean all our stuff out from this last storm.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

First I would find out how "water" got in there in the first place so it would not happen again.. Also I would be checking the Svalves and the rams to make sure there no contamination..

That what I would be doing before I add fresh new fluid !!!!!!!

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you have the new gray plastic breather. They really cut down on the water getting in.

4. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

We know how the water got in. I was just shot down by the boss (dad) when I suggested a flush before we got issues. We bought the blade used and it was missing angle cylinders and hoses. We figure the water got in when it sat outside w/o angle cylinders with the previous owner.

We're no strangers to hydraulic systems this truck is nowhere near our biggest piece of equipment just reminding everyone to do their PM.

5. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

I'm not going to try to do this myself. How much does this usually cost to do

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think most dealers charge an hour and three quarts of fluid.

7. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Is this one of those deals like an oil change 3 months or 3000 miles? I always thought the 3 months part was bogus. Is the 1 year recommendation based on hours of use?