1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fried my mini light bar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dlcs, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I bought a hella mini light bar with a cigarette lighter plug. I wanted to convert it to a permanent wired light using the over head switch that comes with Chevy plow package. well I cut the plug off and wired it up with the hot and ground. left the white wire which is for the patern change unconnected. instructions say to advance the pattern in a permanent mount to just touch this wire yo ground. not sure what I did wrong. I tried hooking it back up to the cigarette lighter plug but I only get one lens to work. I think its
    toast but wanted to check.

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

pattern wire always gets activated using positive connection only what kind of bar is it ?? led rotator or strobe ?

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

its a hella/optilux led. the permanent mount instructions say to use the white wire to ground momentarily for pattern change. I didn't have that wire even hooked up. only thing I can think of is that Chevy made the green wire hot and black ground.

4. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Many lights use ground to change the flash patterns. IN your truck the black wire would be ground and the green +12 volts. If you reversed those 2 that could be the issue. I would put a meter to those wires to be sure.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yep thats what I did, Hope I can buy just the circuit board. The light is a Optilux/ Hella OS-L400.

6. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I bet a simple test light would have been cheaper than a replacement board, leason learned I hope !!!

Not trying to add insult to injury here but like the old saying measure twice cut once really applies here !!!

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

well I can't buy just the board, have to buy the whole light. Crap.....so what cool things can i do with the eight led light heads as they are still good? LOL

8. Just put them on a flasher.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What kind of flasher would I need?

10. A whelen flasher. Try to get ahold of George he can help you. Or call me tomorrow pm me for number.

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thanks R and R! I sent a e-mail to George.

12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Correct....green is positive...

i am surprised it blew the board....usually leds don't really care if you hook up backwards...tir3 and such..

Thanks for the referral R&R......good to know people remember me.

this bar??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

ok....looking at that bar i think your gonna need the smaller unit...

IF you want.....send me the bar and I can rewire it for you.....otherwise just use this flasher and split the leds in the bar half on one output and half on the other.

email Louis at SNM

and tell him Dissociative off plowsite told you to order this flasher..

http://www.strobesnmore.com/able-2-led-flasher.html

He takes care or me pretty good....should take care of you too.