1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fresh Perspective of Plows on 1/2 Tons

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hansenslawncare, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

Could anyone give me some fresh insight on a plow (either 7'6" or 8" boss straight) on a 1/2 ton Ram? I've read older threads but was hoping for new/better insight.

I have a certified mechanic that does all my maintenance for me. He said he would put a plow on a 1500 all day long. Tranny's the same, rotors, brakes, etc...

What's the point of buying a 3/4 ton if a 1/2 ton is cheaper and will do just as good of a job? Keep in mind, most Ram's 1/2 tons have the same engine as the 3/4 ton's.

I could see if I was pulling a skid...however I already have a 3/4 ton to do this. This will be a residential only truck/plow combo. About 50 driveways per storm event.

Thanks everyone.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you're going to use a 7'6" plow then buy a 1/2 ton. We have Western V's with wings and 9'2" Boss V and a Blizzard 810. I'm already pushing the front axle weight rating. I don't think a 1/2 ton will keep up. Plus we run all diesel trucks.

3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I have a 2004 chevy 1500 with a 7' 6" fisher. I turned my torsion bars up a few turns and it handles the weight of the plow no problem. I have even put an 8' on it a few times this winter. I would not want to plow with the 8' but my truck did hold the weight alright. I will be doing timbrins this fall however.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Many years ago, when plows were smaller and lighter, I plowed with a 1/2 ton GM. Now I run a 9.2 Boss VXT. on a 2500 Dodge. If I was satisfied with a 7 1/2 ft plow, I'd run a 1/2 ton again. I just wouldn't let anybody else drive it. While some engines are the same whether 1/2 or 3/4 ton, the drivelines are not.

5. hansenslawncare

Drivelines...you see that's one of the arguments that I've always heard but no one actually gave me any proof or validity to that. My mechanic claims they're identical to the 3/4 tons.

6. jasf

jasf Member

I spent a lot of time at my RAM dealer today. 1/2 hr state inspection turned into 2 plus hours. I can assure you the drivelines are not the same. There were 1500s mixed with 2500 & 3500s. A side by side comparison will give you all the proof you need. Go down to your local dealer on a Sunday afternoon & see for yourself.
    That being said I have a relative that has been plowing for 3 years with a '10 1500 with zero problems & I would have no concerns hanging a 7'6" BOSS off the front of my own truck.

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The diffrence between a 3500 and a 2500 are next to nothing , the diffrence between a 2500 and 1500 are huge . The frame , rearend , springs , rotors all totaly diffrent , if you have a mechanic telling you there the same get a new mechanic.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your mechanic is an idiot.

You said he's certified. By who?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Your mechanic is 100% wrong. What would be the point of the half ton if the driveline is the same as the HD, with lighter suspension? In a 1500, brakes are smaller. Transmissions not as tough. Suspension and steering parts are more light duty. For residentials, I'd go with a 3/4 RC/LB. Trust me, I've got 3 1/2 tons and 1 3/4.

10. mud

mud Senior Member

As others have said the difference is huge between a half ton and a 3/4 ton. Can your half ton push a plow. Yep, and lots do. But you have to decide if the wear and tear is worth it.

I have an F-350 with a v-plow but when it came time to think about a blade on my 150 or a second truck with a blade as a back up rig, I went out and bought a F-250 with a blade on it already for about the cost of a new blade for my F-150. No sence in my mind tearing up a otherwise nice truck thats just not built for that kind of work.

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i have a good friend that rebuilds transmissions. he owns an f150 and i have a couple f350. he has rebuilt two for me and he has rebuilt his own, the f150 trans looks like a tiny toy compared to the f350's. not to mention the interals are all waaaay smaller than the one tons. your mechanic sounds like he doesnt know anything. the axles, rear ends and everything are also considerably smaller

12. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

that being said, depending on the half ton, i might put a plow on it if it was only a 7.5 footer. when i first got into plowing the company i worked for had an f250, f350 dump, an f350 and a 1998 dodge short bed extended cab 1500 with a small v8. we had a fisher 7.5' mm2 on it and while it plowed fine on small storms, we were constantly working on it. like EVERY year we had to replace just about the whole front end. including axle shafts. wiped out the original transmission the first year, made it thru the next winter and had to have it rebuilt again the following year. in less than 4 years it went though 3 transmissions. and it wasnt just the driver, because it had the same drivers as the other trucks in the group that didnt need all that work.

but that may have been because dodge was notorious for those problems. my neighbor has a 2003 or 4 chevy 1500 with a boss 7.5 and he has had problems with front end parts, but no where near what we dealt with

13. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Plowing aside, 1/2 tons can't handle the weight we need for day to day use. Leave the half tons to the harry homeowners.

14. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

To add to my earlier post. The advice I got when I put my plow on my truck, REMEMBER ITS A HALF TON. As long as your not trying to use your half ton as a one tone you should be fine. Yes parts will wear out, yes things will break, but if your plowing with a half ton you need to expect that. I for one am looking to up grade to a bigger truck, not because my half tons wouldnt do it but because I need a bigger (v plow) to be efficant at what I do.

15. hansenslawncare

Thanks for the constructive input gentleman. Could it be that he was referring to Dodge's only??? And what about a certain year(s)?

Anyways...My 3/4 Ram is built as heavy as a Ford 1 Ton, at least in a relatively similar year. So I'm not really trying to compare Dodges to Fords, etc...only Ram 1/2 tons to Ram 3/4 tons.

16. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

He doesn't even know what he was referring to.

When we say get a new mechanic we mean it.

But before you do that. Ask him if my 2003 2500hd is the same as a reg 1500 and see what he says.

17. hansenslawncare

Well I'm hoping that I misunderstood him. I'm definitely no mechanic but found it strange.

Anyways...would you all plow residentials only with a 1/2 ton? Most snowfalls here over the last 2 seasons around about 4-6 inches.

18. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

The amount of snow in any particular storm is irrelevant. Plow with the storm, don't take on more work than you can handle and you'll be alright. It's running bigger plows and pushing back previous snow that will kill a 1/2 ton pickup.

19. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Exactly.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

20. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Here's how you plow with a half ton.

Treat it like a half ton and you will be just fine.

CashinH&P plows a couple commercial lots with his 1/2 ton.