1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fresh meat needing sound advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weewilly, May 12, 2009.

1. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Hello All:
    I am debating buying a used truck (never plowed), to maintain my own driveway 1/4 mile double wide some ups/downs.
    As I am retired and have difficulty blowing out the driveway by hand (33" 13hp) which takes about 4 hours to bring it up to my standards and unable to find a Kubota with cab and blower/mower to suit me; I have been exploring the possibilitys of a truck and plow.

one available truck that has cought my eye is a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Lariat 4x4
    4 door gas motor would this make a decent plow truck? On the Meyer site they keep on talking abour a 1500W but I profess to know little about trucks and even less about plow trucks. (thinking about a 6'8" plow)
    All insite and advice is appreciated.
    Weewilly

2. MJD82

MJD82 Member

If you are going to buy a fullsize 1\2 or 3\4 ton truck you will need at least a 7.5 ft plow . A 6'8" plow will not even come close to the width of a ram. Now if you have no use for a fullsize truck other than to move snow you should look into S-10's or Rangers the 6'8" plow you are talking about will fit either of these nicely, if a pickup is not your thing then look into a jeep cherokee or wrangler all these small trucks are good for tighter spaces such as your drive and the smaller homeowner plows are considerably cheaper than a pro plow of any brand.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Used, never plowed is a great way to go. I believe the W1500 indicates 4WD. I agree the minimum size plow for a full size is 7.5. Fisher has a new HT, which sounds perfect for your application. Most important part of buying a plow is service. What brands can you purchase locally?

4. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thank you MJD82 and 2COR517 for your comments the main reason I was considering a 6'8" was I thought it would be easier on the truck.
    WW

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I dunno. Your going to first start with your driveway .... Which any truck and plow will do. You may not be happy with the quality of the plow job vs. a snow blower - so that will be a shock. Once your over that you'll grow bored and then drive around plowing neighbors, then friends, then maybe charge, etc.

For just your driveway look for something with a plow on already - otherwise I've got to think it would be too much money just for a single drive.

6. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thank You ScottL
    If I could find a local plow company to do the job the way I want it that wiuld be great BUT I have hired 2 diierent contractors gone over what I want and been disapointed both times either the dont show when needed (driveway blows partly in shutting off one exit (big windy semi circular driveway with 2 Sesses) or dont think it matters and give 1 pass but forget to come back and finish the job till the next snowfall My wife is ill and requires homecare daily and I like to keep things up for the girls I know a blower is what i want and have been looking for 3-4 months for a compact tractor but am unable to come up with one at a price /condition that I can afford. at least with a truck and plow I can put up my car for the winter and save it the Canadiah winter salt bath<G>
    Weewilly

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say for just your driveway, get any 1/2 ton and put a Fisher Homesteader or Western Suburbanite on it. If there's a possibility of doing more than your own drive, get a tougher plow. Really, for just a 1/4 mile drive, about anything will do it and last many,many years.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you need to save money, you will probably get a better deal overall buying a truck with the plow on already. If you can afford something just a couple or few years old, you should be fine. Especially a half ton with a lighter duty plow, it's going to show abuse real easy. It's a good time to be shopping. Take your time, and good luck.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. I'm seeing 1/2 and 3/4 ton's with plows any where from 3k to 10k right now. Granted they are not pretty looking but are functional.

Good luck in your quest - We do a lot for residential clients and it is hard to manage every expectation and to find quality plowers to be on staff is even harder. So, I understand where your coming from.

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If you are used to a blower job, a plow truck will probably not be up to par with what you are looking for. So you will be looking to go through this again & gain some sympathy for the contractors you hired, or learn to deal with it. My house is in the middle of orchards & farm fields, it drifts quite frequently. It takes some thought & experience as to where to put the snow, even then the drifts can get bad. If it was me I would keep looking for a tractor, you've got a while. BTW there a 43 hp Kubota, with cab & heat on rochester craigslist today (not mine) for $ 7800. This isn't the time to buy a tractor, everyone is using them, in a month or two there will probably be more around. Good luck.

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

He has some good points. But he is not taking into consideration where you live. Dont buy a S-10 or a ranger. If you get some heavy snow it will never push it. You will just spin the tires and go sideways. I am not a Myers guy. So I would recomend that new HT plow if you are looking at new. No way should you buy a Homesteader unit 6.8 way to light duty for a 1/2 truck. The HT is to the market and since you are buying a used rig. Go find a decent used set. 7.5ft is perfect size. Get a HD not a RD. One thing you also may consider. Those lil Jeep Cj-7 are unstoppable for a small truck and turn fast.

Look at this rig. Bad azz and looks like it could move a mountain of snow. He sold it after one season. Couldnt handle weight of snow.

No picking on your rig vincent. it was sweet. Just using as an example
    [​IMG]

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68615&highlight=Canyon

12. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thank You BigDave12768
    In your post you are flipping buzz words that I am not sure I understand <g>
    "I would recomend that new HT plow" (Western?)
    "The HT is to the market and since you are buying a used rig. Go find a decent used set" (not sure?)
    "Get a HD not a RD" (heavy duty not regular duty?)
    Weewilly

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, Heavy Duty and Regular Duty. But a HD for one 1/4 mile job is WAY overkill. I don't care where you are. We get some snow here in Maine and I plowed commercially for years with an RD Fisher. I stick by my advice above.

14. BigDave12768

I meant SD the RD are just fine.

15. BigDave12768

Sorry The Ht is new to the Market.... And the old RD's are great its the new SD's I wouldnt buy

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I certainly don't want to confuse you any more than you are already, but here goes.

I agree that the RD is more than adequate for one driveway. I think you could do OK as far as resale goes to. I've been looking for one off and on for almost two years.

On the other hand, if you're JUST doing your own driveway, and have no intention of taking it down the road, put on whatever you can get a good deal on. You could carry a 9 footer up and down the driveway with no ill effects.

Willy, I don't know what your mechanical inclination is as far as taking care of an older plow. So I think my general advice for you is this. I would be looking out for a 4-7 year old truck that already has a plow on it and was just used for "one" driveway. You're going to get the biggest bang for your buck that way. You might find a great deal on a older used truck, then dump all those savings and then some into a new plow. I don't know how the auto market is where you are, but dealers are dying to make sales down here.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure you have a dependable plow dealer. I would also try to find a plow ad truck pkg that is only a few years old.

18. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Update

Hi Guys/Ladies
    After reading your advice and talking to local (within 60 miles) plow dealerships and listning to their advice; and buying and computering every buy and sell etc. I have come to the following conclusion.
    I want a Kubota front mounted snowblower with a heated cab and 5' mower late model which I can't afford new and used I haven't been able to find.
    What I did find is a 2000 Dodge 4x4 2500 automatic with about 100000 miles and a 1997 Boss V plow the seller is claming a new front end 20000 miles ago with no outstanding issues on the truck and a minor hydraulic leak (1Qt) a season on the plow.
    He bought the truck 5 years ago and the plow 4 years ago. in the year of plow purchace he did one season of 41 driveways and in the last 3 years just his and his neibours driveway.
    The truck will be going in to a dealers shop this week to have the frame checked transmission and transfer case checked and a general look over to see what it needs for a safety certification.
    The price about $6300 usd and I hope to put in less than 600 to have it in good shape ready for snow<g>
    Wish me good Luck
    weewilly