1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fresh air intake on 2004 gmc

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mushplows87, Oct 7, 2010.

1. mushplows87

mushplows87 Junior Member

Hello, i have an 04 gmc and my guess is a mouse built a nest in the heater fresh air intake, the air smells...i switch to recirulate and it goes away....where does the heat system pull fresh air from...thanks alot

2. wva

wva Member

heater gets the air from where the heater core is up under the dash behind the glovebox area hope that helps

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Outside air is pulled in through the cowl across the base of the windshield and is a popular place for furry creatures to enjoy the habitat. Access the cowl cavity by remove the wiper arms and cowl trim piece then look down in the cowl on the passenger side and you see the plenum that heads into the HVAC box.

A shop vac works well to extract whatever critters or debris you may find. :D

4. wva

wva Member

Although I'm fairly new on hear I like I'm sure 1000s of others have benefited from B&Bs top rate advice so I would follow his advice. And I'll take this chance to thank him and all the others on this site. thanks for all the great info.

5. tac48

tac48 Member

On a side note, if you have evidence of critters in your truck, you may want to take a close look for any wiring harnesses that may have been chewed on under the hood. For some reason, mice like to chew the insulation off wires. It is much better to find any damage now then to find out when the wires are green and corroded(at 2:30 AM in the middle of a snow storm and your truck is malfunctioning.)

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you, it's humbly appreciated. :waving:

A very good tip. Seems more now than ever there's been a ton of wiring on various equipment being eaten by critters and causing surprises around here, most likely due to the strange weather and lack of rain this year. Anything left idle for any length of time can be affected so it's a wise idea to check everything over that contains wiring of any type. I've already repaired several plows that were stored either in unsealed buildings or outdoors with wiring damage under the pump covers. I'm certain it will continue for a while as more are pulled from hibernation.