1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freight Container

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by River Hill, Mar 7, 2007.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Does anyone know how much bulk salt you can fit in a freight container and or how many pallets you can fit in a freight container? Also does anyone know if it would be possible to double stack pallets?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I used to double stack concrete pallets (same size) in shipping containers. so you would get 4 pallets every 5'. The hospital my wife works at they use shipping containers and have them marked "treated" and "rock salt". here is a link telling you how much can fit in what: http://www.freightraders.co.nz/containerspecs.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I know a guy who uses that type of set up and I think he can get at least 25 tons in a 20' sea container (maybe more like 50 tons, but I'm not sure). I can try to find out for you. He says it's great for storing only a little difficult loading it when the delivery comes.

4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Pallets, How many?

RH, A standard fright pallet is 40 x 48 inchs. If you have a 40 foot sea can, 96 in wide you can load 20 plts straight in, or turn every other one and get 22 on the floor. Stack'em and you can get 44 in a 40 foot can. Now if it's a 102 inch wide can you can turn them all sideways and load 24 on the floor or 48 doubled up. You will need a forklift to load it if you turn all of them. Good luck and I hope this helps ya! Hippy.

5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

How bad do they rust out, I would think real fast?

6. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

i've been using the freight container setup for several yrs now. make it really nice to be able to keep it on site for quick response and also no lost time going to shop to load up. i actually rent one due to the ease of only needing one in the winter and don't want to store in the summer season and also i wondered how long they'd last yr after yr after yr holding salt but for the short time i use it there's no change or rust at end of season . i rent a 40ft for 125 mth with 100 to deliver and 100 to pick up at end of season. so you figure it costs around 600 for the season best thing i ever did i can easily keep 40 tons or so in it at any given time and have plenty of room for bobcat. when it comes time to reload just have truck dump in parking lot and use cat and fill it back up. we need one more storm down here really don't want to store salt currently in container seems like we usually get one good storm in march around these parts at least the last 3 or 4 yrs so hopefully trend continues.

7. Grn Mtn

That makes sense because volume wise a twenty yard standard container will hold just over 40 yards. I like the idea of getting bigger than using the left over space to safely hold the bobcat- smart.

8. Grn Mtn

sorry ment to say 20 foot container:jester:

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'd be concerned about the salt dust etc. rotting the bobcat away. Anyone with experience on this? I'd think the electrical connections would be about the first thing to go...