1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing temp of liquid pre-wet solutions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Deershack, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Anyone have info or a site to find out the temps that pre-wetting solutions will freeze in a tank and/or especialy the lines to the nozzels. I'm thinking of mounting a tank on the cab guard which would give me about a 12- 16' run down the bed to the spinner area

2. capital

capital Senior Member

We have used both salt brine and mag chloride-Each has its issues but since your in Minn assume you will be using Mag.When the temps get down around 10F we begin having problems with lines and nozzles freezing up. Check with the city of Apple Valley as they have tried both and their public works guy is easy to get info from. When the temps head below 0F we usually spray the salt down in the hoppers inside our shop. Not the best solution but it works.

minn as the temps

3. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunatly I don't have a shop where I can pre treat the salt. Once the lines freeze or slush up, at what temp will they open up again?

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have a website for you to check out, gimme a couple days to look it up.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I have a home-made prewetter on one of my salt spreaders. I'm good with mag chloride down to about 10 degrees before I start having problems. It isn't so much freeze up though, it's solids falling out of suspension and clogging the nozzles.

I'm looking into making my own calcium brine this year as time permits, we'll have to wait and see how that goes... I'd like to hear from anyone else though who's played with the 2 products, curious to know if there's any benefits, or if calcium is better at staying fluid when the temps drop.

Currently, when the temps drop and the prewetter stops working, I keep having to go back to mixing calcium pellets in with the rock salt, which is a PITA and more expensive...

6. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Do you have V box or UTG spreader?

7. capital

capital Senior Member

wizard-agree about the solids falling out so to speak-also you could check with cargill to see if clear lane is available in ur area deershack

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Clearlane is an amazing product-highly recommend it.

9. wizardsr

Isn't clearlane mostly mag chloride anyway? How thick is it? I thought about trying magic too, but was told it wouldn't work in my setup using a 12v diaphram pump and stainless ag nozzles...

Neither, stainless BuzzBox. :nod:

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

ClearLane® enhanced deicer is bulk deicing salt pre-mixed for customers with a mixture of liquid magnesium chloride, a PNS approved corrosion inhibitor and a coloring agent .-(From the Cargill website)

11. wizardsr

Right, I've seen the green treated salt, but I was wondering about the liquid itself in a prewet scenario. Sounds like it's mostly mag anyway, so I'd probably run into the same problems as regular mag chloride in a prewet scenario... Unless there's something I'm missing... :confused:

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorta (completely) depends on what solution you are planning on using.

Too bad the management banned a very knowledgeable member here because he was 'advertising' as he was a dealer. He had all sorts of good info on this and granular products.

13. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

If you want a good product and are willing to pay the money...........use potassium acetate. It's a liquid runway deicer that will take care of your problems at lower temps.

14. Liquid Magic has a freezing point of -30c degrees..

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

and where would PJ be? :)

17. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS - CF7®

COMPOSITION 50% aqueous potassium acetate solution, by weight, plus corrosion inhibitors
    APPEARANCE Clear, colorless, mobile liquid, free from matter in suspension
    DENSITY At 20ºC (68ºF) = 10.7 lbs/gallon (1.28 g/cm³)
    VISCOSITY At 20ºC (68ºF) = 10cp maximum At 0ºC (32ºF) = 20cp maximum
    FLASH POINT Nonflammable
    FREEZING POINT -60ºC (-76ºF)
    MISCIBILITY WITH WATER Complete
    STORAGE CF7 should not be stored or plumbed through systems that use galvanized, zinc, or brass components
    TYPICAL pH 11.0 ± 0.5
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY At 20ºC = 1.25 - 1.30

18. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Magic -0 will solve all ur problems

19. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Hey snowmelt whats your product got in it?

20. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Hey deershack I have contact info for clear lane for you if you are interested. It come directly off the barge on lake Michigan to you. If your interested email me at kpmsnow@aol.com They aren't site supporters so I'd rather not post the info. Also ICE-BAN has a eutectic temp of -76 degrees Just an fyi