1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigplowguy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

I am having some problems with my salt freezing up in my salt spreaders. Any tips to help me out.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Empty your salt spreader. Sorry I couldn't resist. What size spreader are you talking about? If it is a small tailgate spreader, I just keep mine empty and it's never a problom. If your talking about a V box or something that size, make sure it's covered, and the tarp has no holes in it. I had the same problem before in one of my dump trucks (old county plow truck) and ended up taking my bosch hammerdrill out to get it all busted out.
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

keep your pile covered better...cover your salter while plowing.....install a vibrator
  4. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have big vbox spreaders that have new tarps on them. The salt is coming out of a shed so I am not worried about the salt being wet at the time of it being loaded but I am picking up moisture somewhere.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well salt contains mostior to begin with , how long from the time you load to the time you unload?
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How quick is the salt freezing ? If your attempting to leave salt in your v-box's overnight or till the next event, they will freeze up for sure. Ya have to empty them.

As far as dry salt in the barn, If it went in wet, it will stay wet. It needs air movement to dry out. A big pile will not dry out.
  7. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

We use treated salt and it seems not to freeze up as much.
  8. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

if your salt is frozen spray or dump a bucket of water on it then wait a little and spread as normal works every time if it takes you a long time to spread it will refreeze but just put more water on it liquid cal will do the same thing but water is cheaper
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i always love the idea of adding more water to a property when the temps are below freezing....:dizzy: but yeah it does work

maybe not so enviornmently safe , but washer fluid works good