1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing salt in v box!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow horse, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Hi I along with a lot of people had salt freezing in my salt dogg v box even with the tarp on. Has any body tried running there exaust pipe up to the spreader and somehow running the warm exaust through the inside of my salt dogg or other spreaders????? Like the tri axle dump trucks that vent through the bed! Or any other form of HEATING salt spreaders???
    I have heated mirrors, HEATED WINSHEILD WIPERS now I need a heated V BOX! This aught to be GOOD! Thanks!::waving:
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

There is at least a couple guys that routed their exaust into a hole in their poly spreaders on here. Do a search I remember pics also
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Well I did a quick search and couldn't find squat so I don't know, it is on here somewhere I swear you just need to look deeper. Pretty sure it was just a hole cut in the back of the vbox and ran some tubing up from the exhaust.
  4. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

OH and I want every one to know it was not just me and my salt dogg that had freezing issue's
    last winter everybody I know and the state and townships also had freezing problems, every spreader metal, aluminium, plastic whatever they all FROZE up with salt in them, even in the dump trucks. Thanks
  5. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Cool I looked and did not see anything BUT I will look AGAIN. Thankyou.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not suppose let it sit over night.

IF we loading during a event. We shake some out from time to time.

Assuming gas truck, I would think from the ethanol in the gasoline exhaust would condensate against the tarp and drip on salt
  7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Is your salt treated?
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just get 2 cases of the -35*f windshield wash.
    You will.only need it after a freez up.
  9. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

I do NOT leave salt in over night!! try not to plow with it cause it will freeze as your driving / plowing, unless I am going to jingle out salt on some spots along my route, it also packs down on the auger or drive chain when you leave it in while driving but the freezing has been the BIG issue! My salt is treated and still froze. Most of the time I would like to have a half ton to a ton in my v box when I am doing some of these farm drives, so figuring out some sort of heat system is key. I would not run the exaust through the inside of the v box into the salt, I am thinking on the salt dogs to run it through the 1st or outer wall of the poly spreader, as far as I know they are hollow, then cut a vent in the back some where for it to vent out. If I am correct it would heat the v box enough to solve the problem. on other models making some sort of bladder that could go along the bottom and vent out the back, heat rises so?
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Had all kinds of problems with that exact same thing last year. Someone on here told me to remove the baffles completely and don't run the vibrator as it compacts the salt. I'm gong to try it this year and if it doesn't work it'll be on Craigslist in the Spring. I'll bet I poured fifty gallons of washer fluid over it, and it did nothing at all. Had to go to the car was and power wash it out twice.
  11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've only had my salt dogg freeze up partially on me once and that was in double digit negative temps. I also keep a piece of conduit in the bed but don't need to use it that often (salter likes to bridge the material- different issue) Like others have said throw some material down every so often and always go home with an empty hopper.
  12. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

I always carry 3-4 gallon of windshield washer fluid. Dumping some down in the sides is usually enough to thaw it out. Just an idea if you get stuck.
  13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I always read about guys complaining about this on here every year, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why it is happening. I have been running a V-box since 2012. I ALWAYS load a day or 2 before the storm, because once it starts, I don't have time to stop during my route to load. I also am a one man operation so I don't have a salt truck lagging one or 2 accounts behind coming in after I plow to treat. I plow, then salt, then move on to the next account and repeat. My salt is dry going into my shipping container, and since I'm loading before the storm when it's nice and sunny out, it goes into my V-box completely dry as well, then gets tarped WITH A FITTED TARP, so it stays dry in the spreader. It stays in there for the next 4-5 days until the storm is done, I have finished all my nightly prop checks for refreeze for several nights afterwards and then is finally emptied out, the equipment cleaned and put away until the next storm. I don't get it. Are you guys loading wet salt? Do you not cover your spreaders (as I see many driving around town here with salt heaped up out the top of their hoppers) or is it a difference in overnight temps, single degree temps or sub zero does happen, but not very often. I even had a local contractor here that I bought salt from before I had the ability to handle it myself warn me of the same thing, because he couldn't understand why I was always calling him a couple days ahead wanting to arrange to be loaded. Believe me, I'm GLAD IT HASN'T HAPPENED TO ME, but I have to be one of the least lucky guys in earth, so how is it that it seems to happen to EVERYONE but me? For what it's worth, I run straight bulk salt, no treated or sand, although I have a pre-wet system on my truck that treats the salt as it falls into the spinner. Also have 2 vibrators at alternate corners (left front/right rear) of the hopper.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's colder longer up here
  15. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

dry salt

Dry salt,That's a great IDEA! Except when you go through so much BULK salt that your shed empties over a couple of storms! I can put a tri axle load in my shed, but I go through several tri axles a season or more, AND yes its wet, so that is the Problem. I understand that, I am trying to solve the problem of what we have to work with. some how heating the spreaders would solve the freezing.
  16. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Here is an idea for heat. My spreader has an inverted V that runs the length of the spreader minus about the first 12-15 inches and the last 12-15 inches. I know it is there to take some of the weight of the load off the auger, but how about if you welded a piece of plate steel across the bottom two edges to form a hollow triangle. Then run your exhaust pipe in the front of the spreader and out the rear, with the exhaust flowing through the center of the triangle. Now you have a heated tunnel running the length of the spreader. I would think that would provide enough heat to keep it flowing in the middle at least even if it did still freeze to the outer walls. Just a thought. Don't think that would be too difficult or expensive to engineer. I would use stainless pipe inside the spreader to avoid it from rusting out quickly. What do you think?
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Just before winter last year one of my salt suppliers called me with a deal on some salt. We took 4 trailers. When it came it was blue and he told me it was an anti caking agent. It was the worst salt I've ever had. The crap froze just looking at it. All the salt boxes froze solid and the phone rang off the hook. The salt was out of Detroit which should have told me something. How can you haul 5 hours cheaper then 45 minutes away.

I would say look for a new supplier.
  18. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I too had the same problems last year with salt in my dogie freezing up. However, it only would freeze if it was under 25 degrees at night and I left the salt in while I was passed out! (sometimes on the floor!) didn't even make it to the bed most nights! Now a roll up tarp I made and put on the front of my steel building and a torpedo heater did solve the problem. But It inst very cost efficient. So I cut a square hole to the right of the spinner 4x4 hole. Went to Walmart and got one of them cube electric heaters. (20 bucks) and then took an old cutting edge and some self tappers and cut out a 4x4 piece of the metal and screwed it around my square hole to prevent (melting) and then... rigged up a small stand to hold my (20 dollar) Walmart heater on to the v-box! And voila!! No more frozen salt while i sleep on the floor!!
  19. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

any body find heated spreaders yet?

Anybody find any pictures of heated spreaders yet? let me know. Thanks.
    Heated windshield WIPERS are the BEST!!!!!!
  20. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

I had this issue twice last year, my salt ended up freezing on me with in 30 min of loading and going to my lots, got there for a retreat and ended up having to shovel, and dig around, until i found got it un clogged a big pita, i had no washer fluid, as far as adding heat i thought about it also and was likeing the easiest way would be to used the heated wire for pvc pipes you can wrap around and plug in or the heated wire used for roof top lines and gutters both can be found fairly cheap at big box store