1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing rain

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WINTERGROUP, Jan 29, 2009.

1. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Just wanted to know . How do you guys deal with freezing rain ???

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pre-salt and then apply as necessary.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

salt when it's done raining... have tried to pre treat but has never worked....i was out salting in a thunder storm back in december and all the salt washed away...we had about 1" of rain and 1/2-3/4" of ice...

4. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

Ummmmmmmmm lets see here let me think.............................. Oh yeah I heard of this great new product called SALT works wonders.

5. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Pre treating can help a lot as it will help keep the ice from bonding to the pavement and thus allowing it to be peeled up easier. If you have snow on the ground already and in the lots and can wait to plow them untill after the freezing rain then wait. The ice builds up on top of the snow and has almost no effect on your ability to clean it up. And when all else fails, lots of salt will usually do the trick:gunsfiring:

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Try to watch the temps

If the temps are dropping try to pre treat right before the temps drop below freezing as to minimize the loss of salt to run off

Otherwise just salt afterwards

7. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

you might also need a sand/ salt mix...?

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What for?:confused:

9. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

sand provides a small amount of traction on the slick surface.

10. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

hell you want ice to melt just do what I do. Take a piece of duct tape and put over the BLAST button that will melt the ice fast! LOL

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep thats the best way. the other thing is watch the type of precipitation. Alot of times it will change to ICE, hail , snow, sleet, before the ground temp drops. Once the precip isnt comign down in the form of rain you should start salting

If it keeps coiming down as rain, and temps have dropped to freezing or close, then yoru gonna need alot of it

12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Here is a question......4 inch of snow down at 7am...need lots cleared by opening......plow everything...then changes to freezing rain.....what to do now?

btw temp rising soon to above 32, but ground temp well below after sevreal days of below freezing weather

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if they need to be plowed right away, then do just that , apply heavy on the salt

if they can wait ...leave the snow till after it is all over and plow it all up at once...but it will be heavy and hard on yoru truck , go slow

even if the acctual ground temp is below...sunlight might change that if its avalible... i know around here...it can be 28 on a cloudy day , and stuff will melt and not freeze till the sun goes down

if its sunny. if seen melting at 20 degrees on a nice black parking lot

14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks elite. You can see some of my pics it went from nice fluffy snow(singing to beyonce in my truck, to hitting a brick wall) Do you think some of the roack salt would get wash away?

sorry might be a dum question

15. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

HUH? what fer?...LOL j/k everyone uses a sand salt mix right?

where I came from, if it were icing up from freezing rain, that equates to a TX nightmare...still does. ICE no one can deal with it very well when it gets to be about an inch and then it keeps on building up. from frezing rain.
    Traction on roads or sidewalks can best be navigated with somehing that Northerners don't use to much,
    sand...OK I am done kidding.

From TX yesterday. and they did not use salt last time I was there.

Johnson County officials advised residents to stay inside Tuesday night because of icy conditions. Sand trucks could not get out fast enough, according to Johnson County Emergency Management. No ambulances were available late Tuesday night because of the number of wrecks, officials said.

Fort Worth officials said 480 major and minor crashes had been reported from noon Tuesday through 8 a.m. Wednesday

16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

you just have to plow it to get it open and get some salt down and maybe lots of it if its bad. Thats the bad part about charging salt "per app" like I do instead of "per pound" but they both have positive and negatives.

17. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I know your pain.Hit one lot yesterday three times with salt between 6am and noon, per there request,still didnt do much.

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't see it washing away. If the lot has traffic that will pack it down or even crush it up to work better.
    Glad you got some more snow and ice to plow Timmy. :salute:

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusictymusic:)depends on the contract, mostly salt walks and tricky hills etc befor e the storm. salt walks during the storm..........until it ends. If they dont have salt included in specs then sand sand sand with calcium mixed . (If youre in the parking lot sweeping biz ya just got more work to do in that case)

20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it washed all of mine away last time....but it was raining hard!!!! like so hard that i was soaked in less than 2-3 minutes....