1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing Rain!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SDlawndawg, Dec 18, 2002.

1. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I woke this morning to a 1/8 - 1/4 of ice build-up. Nasty stuff. I can't imagine what folks in N.C. had to deal with after that storm a while ago. I don't normally salt my drives but I figured I better do the steep ones. After I slid down my drive, I tried to drive down the road but had better traction keeping my right tires in my neighbors' lawns. After driving 5mph to the first job, I found I couldn't get up the road near the drive because of a slight hill. I had to salt the road so I could salt the drive. Not easy since I don't own a spreader. I look like I'm feeding chickens. I finally got to the top of the hill where I found no less than six cars in a pileup at the nearby intersection. What a mess. Low speed collisions so nobody was hurt.

Anybody else have freezing rain this morning?

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

dude, where's your chains?

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying a small spreader. Nothing fancy. My customers almost never ask for salt but after yesterday that may change.

Paul- Chains are for sissies. I stud my tires with 7/16" lag bolts.

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i would have to disagree, chains work better than studs. (ive run them both.)
    the only time i run chains is when we get a good accumulation of ice.
    and whats more manly, driving straight up the ice covered hill, or having to get out and treat it so you can get up?

5. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I was only joking. Of course chains work great, but they are illegal in Michigan. I thought the only state you can use them is Alaska?

6. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

customers shouldnt ask for it, you should sell it to them

7. long0

long0 Senior Member

Here in Colo, lots of people run chains. Saw a State Trooper in a Z28 the other day, hauling a$$ up the road, lights and siren going, and chains beating the hell out of the fenders. Quite a sight. For every set of chains sold, there should also be a class on how it install them.

Andy

8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

A Z-28 Stateboy with chains? That must have been quite a sight.

Studs were legal here in Michigan years ago but were banned because of the damage they did to the roads. I would assume chains have the same affect. Don't the roads take a beating where chains and or studs are used like in Colorado?

9. long0

long0 Senior Member

We don't use salt around here to remove snowpack. The only time I see people running chains are when the roads are snowpacked. Sure, every once in a while, you'll hear chains on clean pavement, but I think that is usually limited to people like the mail carriers traveling from side street to side street.

As far as studs go, seems like the entire population has them. I'm not a highway engineer, so I can't comment on how much damage is caused by either. I can't remember the last time I saw a local CDOT truck without chains. You'd think if the goverment was concerned about chains causing damage to the highways, there own personal would be the first one's to stop using them.

Andy

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Huh. Always have a hardpack eh? I guess that's why you guys in the mountains measure snow in feet instead of inches. I'm jealous.

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

My first winter in Leadville 96-97 I commuted 35 miles on continuos hardpack from December through March.

Winters have been pretty mild lately.

The call the drive either:

The Leadville 400
    The Taco 200 ( Large Hispanic population)

It is pretty nuts watching people with two car lengths between them, then pass 3 cars on a 100 yard straightaway while everyone is going at least 60mph.

Thats why I started my own business locally so I only have a 2 mile commute!