1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing rain/snow stuff

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjslawncare, Feb 18, 2003.

1. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Here in southern Indiana, we usually dont get that much snow. I began plowing it a couple years ago for extra bucks in winter. This last snow we got came down as freezing rain/snow mix and is a b@#%. We got a total 5" and I went out with my plow truck but quickly figured out I needed stronger trip springs or something. Went home and welded third trip spring (Via Snowplowing-contractors.com) and still had problems. I then had to go back and hook up trailer and drag my tractor all over the place. My front loader was the only way to move this stuff. Im still getting calls from people needing plowing and their guy cant do it with his plow untill it thaws a bit. What do you guys do when you run into this stuff?
  2. Ben

Ben Member

I salt the heck out of the lot and come back later and plow what i can. Then more salt.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

if the plow keeps tripping, i lift it and let it take what it can off the top, then if i can i'll come back and chip up whats left. Then i salt the heck out of it. then come back and clean up the slush. If push comes to shove, throw it in 4low, and slowly crawl through it, i had to do that once. I cant beleive that 5" is so hard to push. oh well, like everyone else says, "crazy weather"
  4. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

The same storm passed through here (St Louis) with fairly similar results - snow on top of freezing rain/sleet, but probably not as much sleet as you got. I was able to plow off the sleet/freezing rain before it had the chance to solidify (plowing with the storm). I also presalted, which I think helped prevent it from bonding - especially in the areas I had to hand shovel. On drives that were not presalted or plowed early on, a decent coat of salt after I shaved off what I could softened it to a plowable condition fairly quickly. Costs were a little higher on salt, but I was a hero to my customers and the long term satisfaction will bring profits down the road. It also saved wear/tear on the truck.

5. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

Here in Alberta we have been getting a lot of snow and freezing rain combonations. I have four trip springs on a 7' meyers and it still trips. I have resorted to chaining back the blade, however I definitely don't recommend doing it. It puts extreme strain on the plow and the truck and you definitely have to be aware of what is under the snow (blade doesn't trip!!) however it does the job in a pinch. Even snapped a chain one night!
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I got to thinking about this again, and I think that if you could pretreat your pavement before the freezing rain starts, it would keep the ice from adhereing to the pvement, and make removing it a much easier task. If you have salt spreading capability, that is my suggestion.
  7. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Thanks for the info guys, I do have a lot to learn. I beleive I will start pre salting some of my lots to ease this problem as you suggest.:waving:
  8. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

How do you guy's go about charging for this kind of event? Do you tell the customer it will cost xxx for plowing and xxx for salt and figure in another price for coming back the same day to try and scrape the hardpack off.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Presalting,or pretreating is hard,as if you don't get the expected snowfall\freezing rain,then you have a mess of salt,and it's hard to charge for it.

Plowing with the storm is probably the best thing you can do.Never wait it out,because you can get screwed.You may have to plw it several times,but at least it can be done.

4 trips springs,properly adjusted will help.Trip springs get weak over time,and need to be replaced.Having the correct angle of attack,and possibly adjusting it will help a lot.Angling the blade will sometimes help it stop tripping too.

A loader is a big benefit too.We had a few storms like that this year,and the loaders were real busy.Even if the loader just breaks it up,then a regular plow truck can finish the job.