1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing rain event

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TPC Services, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Thought I would see what some of your opinions are on when to start apply sand/salt materials down. I do not care about the use 100% salt or liquid because most here do not want it so please keep it to just the salt/sand mix . We have been going out around the middle or towards the end of it coming down. I’ve been thinking maybe to have them start going out just before it starts. What is your thoughts on when you guys get started on a precip event like this, we are to get around ..25" - .50" of freezing rain.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What advantage would there be to spreading sand before the ice starts?

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We only run straight salt and some liquids so my opinion may not have much value. But as far as pre-applying a sand/salt mix I'd think it would depend upon the mix. If it were like 50/50 maybe it would benefit the lots???? If it were more like 90 sand/10 salt I'd say no value in early apps. And when you say .50 do you mean total precip or accumulated ice?

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

One of our accounts has 70% sand 30% salt. The sand stays around all winter. It actually helps with plowing. A sand/salt mix before an ice storm will help quite a bit. The sand is going to help stop the ice from sticking to the ground. Yes salt would work much better but the sand will work well. We try to always presalt freezing rain. Depending on the weather it is hard to melt it out after.

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

he means 1/2 ince total rain as the weather people flip a quarter on if it will rain or be sleet/freezing rain.

6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i usually go to all the commerical propertys in the morning and do a sand brine mixure on all the roadways and then again when they close and put allitle salt by the door walkway to hlep people walk when going to their cars.
    My groceries i sually just sand the entrances wit the sand/brine mixure throughout the day as needed since the cars will track it into the parking lots.

7. TPC Services

Crete, the advantage is to see if you could get a jump on the melting of frezzing rain before it gets to bad!!! Thanks, Cet that's what I was thinking. We run around about the same mix as you, We usally mix it a little bit stronger for these frezzing rain events

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We have about 20 tons all mixed up and ready for this crap...We will wait till it is half to 3/4 done and then start putting it down...may re-treat some of the more heavily traveled places

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I always pre-treat w/ straight salt before a freezing rain event, then I can sit at home instead of skating around on ice covered roads. I go back after the event once the road crews have been out and check my properties. Some times I need to re-treat but I always find the salt will keep the ice from bonding to the pavement.

10. TPC Services

thanks for all the good info,
    I was all ways told that you need to go out mid to late in the event, I all ways question that idea. I was 75 % going with the idea of putting it down early and the maybe having to re apply if we are getting the upwards to .50" of ice. I thought it should not be any differant then how we do are liquid but just was not sure if we where going to be wasting our time and our clients money!! So that pretty much Solidifies it to go out early. Have our normal 75tons mixed up and ready to go for the first run.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010