1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freeze Plug ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

need a hand fellas,
    some Dummy:eek: was running stright water in a '85 Chev 3/4 ton with a 350. It is not to get too cold in Texas! The raditor was leaking and the dummy didn't get around to fix things...Just keep adding H2O. Dude...it gets cold!!! Replaced the hoses that blew, got some stop leak for the radiator...poured in the New Antifreeze! Water and antifreeze was pouring out of the left side of the block right behind the motor mount.. Is this where the freeze plug is located ?? Is this what broke ??? Is it real hard to fix.:eek:
    Thank you..
    Wally:eek:

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it could be a freeze plug, the only thing is there is none directly behind the motor mount. they are right next to the mount.

get a light and climb under to see exactly where it's leaking from, hopefully the block did'nt crack.

if it is the plug, then pull the old one out, clean up the hole with some sandpaper, put some sealer on the new one and pop it in.

try and use a socket that just fits inside the plug and knock it in squarely.

good luck

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds like it popped a frost plug.There IS one behind the motor mount,you have to unbolt the motor mount,jack the motor up,and get the motor side mounting bucket off the engine to get at it.It will be tough to get started straight.Use a small hammer to get it started,and then you can drive it in with a long handle bushing driver.

It should be a 1 5/8" plug,available anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2003
  4. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Yea guys, I think it is just over 1" or so . Can't really see it too well just the edge. Cant feel it either, only about 1/2" between the motor mount and the motor. Who in there right mind would put somthing that may need to be worked on right where you cant get to it.. Haaa yea...Mr. Goodwrench!
    Thanks, Hey does anyone want to have fun this weekend???
    :(
    Wally

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yeah,that's is a bit of a pain,but can be done with some work and a little patience.

I just double checked on the frost plug,it is a 1 5/8" or 1.634".Pioneer part # 1640.Most parts houses should have them.

6. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Just talked to Mr. Goodwrench, It is a freeze plug! Loosen the motor mount on the left side. Jack up the engine from under the oil pan. It will hinge on the other mount. Remove the left motor mount. Borrow an 30' angle tool , and drive the new plug in!
    The offer still stands for this weekend!!!

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just be careful jacking it up under the pan.I'd prefer to use a pan rail (egde of block),or the balancer first.The pan can be easily bent or dented when jacking.If you must use the pan,get as much wood under it as possible to spread out the weight,and go slow.

I'd take you up on the offer,but I don't think I'd make it there in time for this weekend ;)

8. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

You could just jump on a plane! No big deal. Heck I'd even pick you up at the airport! We could have pizza for lunch. Well if ya don't think you'll make it, I'll just wait till you can! I'll just hold my breath till you get here! Wouldn't want you to miss out on all the fun.LOL
    Thanks
    Wally