1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freeze Plug Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by greyst1, Dec 21, 2010.

1. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Well I was replacing my steering stabilizer shock today and saw a small puddle of oil just under the oil filter. I looked up and and the freeze plug on the oil adapter was soaked with oil and looks to be dripping off that. The cooler lines felt dry above and can't see what else could be leaking in that area. The dealer told me the freeze plug rarely ever leaks. The seal for the oil plug adapter looks dry as well. Anybody ever have this problem? My truck is an 02 2500hd Chevy. Is it a b!tch to replace the whole oil adapter assembly and cooler lines? I assume an oil change needs to be done as well...

Thanks for any feedback guys!

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yeah the oil cooler lines just plain suck. Need to unbolt the drivers side motor mount and raise the motor some to get them in or out. Took forever for me to do the ones on my 2000 with the 6.0

3. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

we had a 94 and the oil cooler lines started leaking and we removed them....and bought the adapter plate.. wasnt very hard at all on the 94......

4. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

The lines feel dry as so does the seal. The only thing thats soaked with oil is the freeze plug on the side. The dealer swears thats not the leak as they never leak. Is there anything else above the area that could be leaking down? I just don't want to start ripping out the cooler lines if thats not the problem...thanks again!

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have replaced lots of cooler lines on engine and atf with these newer trucks from gm over the years.

have fun swapin atf lines on allision / dmax setups. :angry: if you have this setup.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

There is a rear main seal cover that can leak and run down that way. Had my rear main and that cover gasket replaced this summer. But you gotta pull the trans/transfer case out to do them.

7. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Thanks guys. Just picked up a dorman replacement at Advance Auto. $51 vs. $125 at Spitzer Chevy. Looked again underneath and everything is dry as a bone except for the freeze plug. I assume the seal went bad...