1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freeze Gaurd

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 2005DMAX, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 2005DMAX

2005DMAX Junior Member

Has anyone ever used or heard of a product called Freeze Guard? I have a customer with new concrete sidewalks. They are requesting the use of this product on their sidewalks. Is there any other product that is safe for new concrete?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Usually chlorides aren't bad.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Why not use what they request? If it fails, its on them.
  4. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Chlorides on New Concrete

Most products actually say on the bag do not use on concrete less then 1 year old. I can check if Freezgard is one of them. It is Magnesium Chloride and generally any chloride is not safe on Concrete less then 1 year old. You should look at something like Sodium Formate or CMA (pure not something "with" CMA). While more expensive, the cost of new concrete is usually worth using this for the first year or so.

Any questions give me a call,

5. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I've used Freeze Guard, a lot actually. While it's not cheap, a GREAT product, and I've never had isues with concrete.
  6. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Yes we are a Freezgard Distributor on the East Coast and sell a lot of it as it is a good product, but the OP is talking about NEW concrete.
  7. MidwestSalt

MidwestSalt Junior Member
    from Batavia

Due to its low freeze point it will go through less freeze thaw cycles and in the friendliest chloride on the environment.

Freez gard is great on new concrete, so is peladow calcium chloride. We have the lowest prices on freeze gard in the NW indiana and the Chicagoland markets.
  8. MidwestSalt

MidwestSalt Junior Member
    from Batavia

Find out from the concrete contractor if there is a warrany or any products that would void the warranty on the concrete. Also a sealer is a good investment it the first winter will be very very harsh.
  9. Johnnysnows

Johnnysnows Junior Member

I've used Freezgard in the past great product is a Magnesium flake pet and vegetation friendly but for new concrete find out what kind of warranty you have from the contractor, just to make sure you are not voiding any warrantiy by putting product on it.