1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freewheel steering on toro 2 stage snowblowers

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by joed, Aug 30, 2008.

1. joed

joed Member

I notice that on Toros 28" 2 stage snowblowers, they have this thing called freewheel steering. Does anyone know how this works and whether it's absolutely necessary to have. The 26" model, 826LE, does not have it and is $350 cheaper than the 828 model which has it.

Thanks.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I'm not super sure but I think allows one wheel to turn at a different speed than say both going at the same speed, you would feel this during a sharp turn, rather than sling you around, it allows you to pivot on one wheel while the other turns at the speed you choose.

I think thats close, but I am sure somebody will nail this for you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have an 824, and it has soild axle steering with no way to slow one wheel down, turning it , is not the easyierst of things to do when you get tired.