1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

freelance work.. contract or not.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by stephen6868, Nov 19, 2011.

1. stephen6868

stephen6868 Junior Member
    from chicago

I just picked up a plow to do my driveway, my neighbors and a few other friends. some of them have told me that they know some people that would be interested in having me plow there driveway, walkways etc. my question is should i write up a simple contract saying that this is a per snow fall service and what i am not liable and responsible for to cover my a$$ or just let it fly. keep in mind that some of these peoople i will not know. also i am just doing this as a part time deal.. I have a full time job and cannot have contracts where i need to be on call 24/7. thanks for any and all advice.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with your friends and family. Snowplowing, you are on their time ,they aren't on yours.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you cannot do it in a timely manner don't do it.

You need contracts to protect yourself and outline the scope of work and payment.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

GL Insurance is also a good idea too.

5. stephen6868

from chicago

my time or there time really isnt an issue for some work. im talking about when im already out for the day or its the weekend and i get a few extra people. in no way would i be promising them any time or services. if some one would call me to ask if i can come do there driveway and i say sure i can come out, thats when I would like to know if i should just have something writen up.

6. grandview

If someone calls you out of the blue for a one shot,they'll flip cash at you.

7. stephen6868

from chicago

so take the cash and deny everything.....lol.

8. grandview

I was never there ,must of been someone else with a plow on their truck.

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

talk with your insurance agent & let them know you have a plow on your truck. Do your homework so you knowwhat kind of liabilty your getting yourself into

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hard to do if you take out the garage door.

11. grandview

It was that other black truck that did it,and I didn't get the plate number either!

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well the neighbors kid was taking video with his Iphone and posted it on Youtube. The numbers easy to read, those Iphone cameras are something!!:laughing:

Falls under Basher's Law which states; Murphy was an optimist.