1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freebie

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Krafty17, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

Picked this baby up this morning. A friend of a frined had it sitting in his wood shop for the past 12 years. He just wanted gone so he gave it to me. Not sure if anything is good or not on it. It is small but in pretty decent shape. I think we may try and fab it up to fit on a skid, maybe add some wings to it what do you think? Any info on it I have all boss plows and know nothing about westerns.

IMG00001-20100821-1244.jpg

IMG00002-20100821-1244.jpg

IMG00004-20100821-1244.jpg

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ummmmm, its a small 6' 6" Western plow. Looks to be in usable condition. Like you said, fab a plate so it can hook up to a skid steer, add some wings and there's a decent pusher. Anything like that when its free is a good thing.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Nice find! :nod: just get some angle steel, tube steel and a stick welder and weld it up!

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've been through this very thing a few times. I'd suggest either leaving the plow as is and mounting it on a small skid via a chain to get some life out of it OR plan on re-inforcing the A-frame and quadrant substantially if you plan to use down pressure & wings.

We've wiped out plows built much better than this in a season with a skid loader. They just aren't/weren't designed to be beat by something like a skid, especially when stacking & abusing the DP.

On the other end, coupled with a smaller skid, this plow could be an excellent sidewalk set-up.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Agree, looks pretty light weight for most skid loaders. We have an old 8' western that was on a 79 Ford. The truck is long gone, but the plow still gets used on the front of the bobcat. It's needed some reinforcing along the way, but it works good.

6. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

Good points thanks for the info. The guy that does all of my snow plows is going to look at it this week and see what he thinks. If it goes on a skid it will be going on an 85xt, so it is a pretty good sized one probaly too big to get on our sidewalks. I guess I didn't realize how much harder a skid was then a truck, but that was a good point about the down pressure.