1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Free Work ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doo-man, Oct 19, 2009.

1. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Has anyone else been feeling the pinch of low ballers or people who like to plow for beer money ??? I am getting annoyed that "Billy Bob I just bought a plow truck" is beating me in bidding jobs.

I under stand that the economy is crap but come on I just got news that I got out bid by well over $100 per push to plow 70,000sqft lot and I thought I bid it low at $185.00 WTF?????:mad:

Looks like I will be sitting in the drive waiting for the phone to ring when Billy Bob doesnt show cause he's too hung over to plow !!! Oh yeah and it's an emergency plow visit at 3x's as much as I first quoted ya !!!!!!

I could go on but I Just have to vent, it's getting rediculas........:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

How many accounts do you plow? How many accounts on an average would it take you to make up for this 1 lost account? 1 the same size, 2 smaller ones?

Can you get more? How many bids did you put out?

J.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

haven't had too many lowballers yet, but they are out here, it is going to be a interesting season, i hope we have the same season as last year, we had contractors just plain give up after we started getting 8ft high drifts, i am planning on trippling my charges for all those people that didn't hire good snow removal artists (lol) the first time. And all my customers that have showed good loyalty, i am going to give them the greatest service of all time, (hopefully embarassing all those lowballing snow remover wanabees)

4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Amen to that!!

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Why aren't you giving "the greatest service of all time" to your customers now? It shouldn't take a lowballer to bring out the best plower in all of us.

J.

6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

you know i lost a few good accts last year, i did get some back mid year, but we were way down from the year before, all i can say is do what you can, last year i advertised for the first time in over 22 years in the local papers, i did pick up about 15 drives from that,lreally think i made more money with less effort and for sure less breakdown than the previous year, you just got to do what you got to do

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ouch Peterbilt, let me put it this way, i very rarely if ever get complaints, last year we had one of the worst snow years since 1978, and out of 250 residences, 7 condos, 6 banks, 10+ small and medium sized commercial properties, and two large industrial factories, we lost one residential customer (apparently we didn't clean her garbage box clean enough, i checked, it was fine),and a home builder that couldn't seem to figure out we couldn't be there all day to make sure there 10 show homes were clear ( i kid you not they expected us to make hourly trips to make sure their show homes stayed clear, even when the entire street was impassable with a 6 foot high drift) AND we bailed out two other companies that couldn't handle their snow adequately, however when it has come to resigning people this year, we lost 4 condos!!!, due to price only (so much for loyalty), and some residences also due to costs, well this year, my goal is to start earllier, get done faster, and if that big snow happens, i am going to charge 3 times what i would have normally to all those people that phone in, and when asked why, my answer is MY customers that were loyal get the great price, anyone that didn't sign with me gets the triple price, and next year IF they remember who was there to help them out, i well be happy to sign them on the contract rate (which is quite reasonable $70/hour skid steer). I guess what i was saying is that in a year where some customers went for the bottom line, i am going to give my all to make sure my customers who stayed loyal know their loyalty well be rewarded.

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm not to worried about this season, this low balling isn't new, in fact it's always there we just haven't seen it to this degree...
    Going full force advertising (yard signs) putting up business cards at places I service etc...
    One way or the other, I'm going to outlast these fly by night's it's ''WAR ON THE SHORE.''

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I seen a sign yesterday, a regular printer paper sheet, with green marker, "Yard Clean up-$20" I laughed. I haven't seen any snow plowing signs JUST yet. I bet in the next few weeks we will see a couple. Nobody has even started staking yet here in Wayland. I will probly start doing staking ehh, first or second week of november.

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

ya do realize that your in a tough biz right, i mean all you gotta have is good credit and voila a truck and plow is all you need, i see tons of new trucks here, it isn't like it's rocket science,

yes granted if you plow enough you do get a skill in how long it takes where to start and how much it will cost to do right, the problem is the newbs don't know that info and thats where you beat them, on the business end, anybody can plow not everyone can bid, i am a sucker so i do more than i should but my reward is i always have work when i need it,

are you charging to much? just because you spend 50 grand on a truck does'nt mean your gonna make enough to pay itoff.

or maybe that's the problem you have way to much into your equipment and people think your prices are crazy high, it's a tough call some people like to put on the show and others are just happy to drive junk and fix it every night,