1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Free Snow Plowing??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hunter9, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I recieved a call today to bid a government agency (homeless shelter for battered women) and when I arrived was told that another person had bid the lowest and I would not get the job (and I had not even looked at it yet or bid it) so when I asked for an explanation of how they could do that, I was informed "he will do it for free". Apparently he is doing it as a donation to help the homeless/battered women.
    I am cool with someone donating and think it is a good jesture, just wondered if anyone had ever run accross this and/or do it yourself as a donation/write-off??

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Great concept for a tax deduction

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

And if he did'nt do it for free his wife would kick the sh*t outta him !

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO!!!!:D :D :D Good tax deduction idea I guess.....:confused:

5. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I knew I was missing something, he was scared sh!tless.:D :D

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, I have a proposal out there right now for some to be done as charity. But, you want to be careful how it's done to satisfy the IRS since you can not deduct your labor. What I proposed is that they "pay" me with a receipt for a donation. I haven't run that by the the accountant or gotten a ruling on it, but seems to be the only way to satisfy the IRS requirements. The other thing is that I found out (rather rudely) was that not all organizations I thought would be counted as charitable actually are. I think the IRS puts out a list.

7. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Irs

I plow my church as a donation. The only thing that you can deduct is your hard costs like gas and if you use salt.

8. deere-cat

deere-cat Junior Member

Actually, pro bono jobs are great IF you are making tons of money, and you need the tax deductions. Even if you don't do it for free, if you quote a job at a drastically reduced rate, word gets around, and it will come back to you. Tell your customer what kind of deal you're giving them (in case they don't know it), and ask them to tell their friends and relatives.

I have been cutting grass (about 4 acres) and plowing for a local VFW hall at a barely break-even price, and it has been good for me. The positive public relations is a great (cheap) way to advertise your business!:nod: payup

Give it a try!

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds resonable to me.

10. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I have done, and continue to do "charity" work. I do not write this off as a "deduction" (to do so would kinda negate the meaning of charity in my mind).

However, anyone who does free work for a government agency is a fool!:angry:

Just my opinion.:angel:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

12. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

As much as I am about charity, and helping out those that need it, I wouldn't even think about using it as a tax deduction.

Sounds like you'd be on a fast track to the IRS Red Flag list. Just like if you deduct anything for a Home Office...Might as well schedule an appointment to be audited right then and there.

13. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I used to work for the federal goverment in a contracting related position. We could not accept anything free and the bids had to be a fair market value. You may want to check into that free bid, it may not be legal. Just a thought.

14. LLM Ann Arbor

I doubt very highly its a government organization if its a battered womens center. Those are generally private or run by churches and what not. But thats good information to know about the Government bids anyone may put out in the furure.

I didn't know that.

15. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

You may be right, but he stated a government agency. That's why I posted the reply. If its funded by any federal, state, orlocal government funds, free may not be legal. Hate to see a fellow plower lose a contract due to improprieties.

16. LLM Ann Arbor

Well like I said....just another reason to do it for Moral and Ethical reasons....maybe some good Karma, and leave it the hell off your income tax returns.

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

18. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

We plow our Church for free too

In the past we got receipts but havent even woried about it the past few years just doing our part. using what God gave us

19. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

i would do some charity work (plowing and maby even mowing) if it was convenient for me.

i'm not gonna drive ten miles out of my way to do it, but if i'm already there...maby.

20. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

We have this very elderly lady that we do. She insists on paying us even though she has nothing, you should see this place she has less than nothing.. Say's she dosen't want charity so to make her happy I told her $2.00. I figured that I'd sneak a truck in at 3AM and do it and go. No way, she runs out in a nightgown to pay. So now we do her last and bring her a fruit basket or wood for her fireplace. She was already on the phone to make sure we had her on the list. A person like her ya do anything for. It is alway's the one's with the big money that are a pia wanting something for nothing.. Go figure.

Roy