1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Free plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigDave12768, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. BigDave12768

    BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,446

    Anyone ever plow a driveway for free. I dont mean family and friends either we all got those. I pass a driveway that hasnt been plow since or last storm. They cleaned out around car and made a small path from front door to street for mail. But the car is small a light blue. The house is older and a bit run down. Needs painting not sure about rest of house. but it needs paint. My plow is stored a couple towns over. So i havent had an easy opurtunity to blast it out. But its going on tomorrow. Anyone else get a concious that bugs them and feel the need to do a good deed.
     
  2. iceyman

    iceyman 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,537

    you have no clue what could be under that snow... you would not be happy to break your plow over a free driveway
     
  3. procut

    procut Senior Member
    Messages: 902

    Not to sound like an a$$ here, but you might want to think twice before going onto someone's property unsolicited like that. Chances are everything would be fine and they would probably appreciate it much, but some people can be funny about stuff like that. Not to mention there could always be that water well, boulder, landscape light, ect. hiding under the snow. The phrase no good deed ever goes un-punished comes to mind.
     
  4. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    If I see an old timer shoveling I might stop and plow it. Then he'll say hold on and let me get some money for helping out and they go inside and I drive way .
     
  5. JDiepstra

    JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,780

    I wouldn't do it! What if the people are complete jerks, criminals, or for that matter, just plain lazy? I guess if makes you fell good about yourself go ahead, but not me!

    I've don't some drives for free, but not under the circumstances you have mentioned!
     
  6. sechracer

    sechracer Senior Member
    Messages: 478

    I have 2 old people that I plow out for free on my way past. Both are a 30 second job. Both are too old to be shoveling and both always thank me if they see me do it. However, I know both of those driveways are clear of junk, so I do not have to worry. As for just someone random that I have no idea about, forget it. if the car looks like crap, and the house looks like crap, forget it cause you never know what crap is in the drive.
     
  7. heavyiron

    heavyiron Member
    Messages: 96

    I'll do it for a neighbor, but only if we've gotten a good sized dump during the day and I know they won't be able to even get into the driveway and off the road. I just do the end so they can park off the road until they finish shoveling.
     
  8. BigDave12768

    BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,446

    Well the car is about 8 feet from the road. It really would just be an end of driveway clearing. I will get out and see if its a block of ice first. It would really just be 2 pushes and a quick drag out. I am not going to stay around and wait for them to move car. And I know the driveway is just a small lvl one since Its a cut through I take every now and then
     
  9. merrimacmill

    merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA
    Messages: 1,822

    If there was just some random joe shoveling, forget about it. BUT on occasion I will see a real old timer attempting to shovel their driveway, and I will just pull up and signal for them to get out of the way and they do, and i just roughly get the driveway for them and they do the same thing GV said, they always say "oh let me go get money" and I say forget about it and just leave.
     
  10. ahoron

    ahoron Senior Member
    from here
    Messages: 422

    I can already see it . Police, The crazy plow driver came onto my property and damaged my car, or lawn or driveway. No way I would just go onto someone's property I didn't know to help them out. If it's a lady or some old guy that's shoveling or stuck I help them out. Don't just go plowing driveways because you think you're helping them out. 95% chance they would thank you but, that 5% isn't worth the headache
     
  11. MickiRig1

    MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,617

    I agree people are strange about their property. I plowed my next door neighbors drive one time. Who would complain when your drive was plowed for free? He did, I guess he would rather shovel it for and hour. Try to be nice and what does it get you?
     
  12. Winterized

    Winterized Senior Member
    Messages: 120

    One more vote for..... do not do it !

    YOUR family is much more important. It's food off their table if somebody or something gets hurt when in fact your were trespassing, if only trying to do a good deed. To bad things are like that.
     
  13. GMCjim

    GMCjim Junior Member
    from Idaho
    Messages: 11

    I say don't do it for the all reasons previously stated. Also, I had a customer last year that stiffed me and still owes me money from plowing last year. This year I drove past his place and he was trying to shovel out his stuck truck. I drove right on by. When I went back, I saw another guy with a tractor cleaning out his driveway. I know the guy with the tractor and warned him that he might not get paid. He said he was just being nice and didn't charge him. So, this deadbeat guy is getting rewarded for nothing more than being a deadbeat.
     
  14. Longae29

    Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,954

    me too........especially the heavy slushy snow at the end of the driveway
     
  15. QuadPlower

    QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,056

    My friend said that I should do it and then leave my card in the door. I told her there is too much liablitiy in it. And it would be my luck that they would call just to say that they weren't going to pay me. Then I would be more pissed off than if I hadn't done any thing.
     
  16. JD Dave

    JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,045

    I will do the same. I pulled a guy out of the ditch once and he nearly ran me over after I unhooked the chain, He didn't even say thanks. I hate when you do good deeds and people just don't take the time to thank you, it has nothing to do about money.
     
  17. polplow

    polplow Member
    Messages: 45

    last winter I plowed a customers driveway for free for her 100th birthday
     
  18. dirtmandan2

    dirtmandan2 Senior Member
    Messages: 275

    Last year I saw a woman that had already shoveled her drive then the town plow came thru and buried the end... She was out there shoveling so I pushed it in for her... Now w/ out permission I wouldnt have done it... I did a drive the other day, hadnt been done the last several times, owner asked me to push the pile back beside the garage, needless to say by the time I was done there was a buried topper that is now garbage and whoever plowed it last time pushed against the garage door and pushed the bottom in about a foot. Im glad the homeowner was there watching so he didnt think I broke his door. Now the topper, not my problem either.
     
  19. BigDave12768

    BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,446

    Well PLow is on and Driveway got plowed. I read all your input and looked at driveway and hardness of snow pack at end of driveway. But sometimes i will cut off my nose to spite my face. And sometimes my heart is way to good for my own good. I look at as giving to a charity almost. But the funnny thing is I dont give to charities. I would rather give directly to the person. Around christmas i walk right past the Salvation Army bell ringers. But since my job puts in me Boston alot. I give directly to the homeless around christmas time. I give out $100 to homeless people. 5x20. For some reason I feel this more towards charity than some large type of corparation charity thats on TV with telethons, I also buy the flower thing for the DAV's when they are selling them. I know I will get flamed for this. But thats the way i donate to charity


    You can see little blue car in driveway lol


    http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS307US307&q=25+lovell+st+weymouth+MA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image
     
  20. t.i.b

    t.i.b Senior Member
    Messages: 140

    glad you did it, nice!