1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timmy1, Jan 14, 2009.

1. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

There are certain people who ask for sand and plowing.

Relatives, neighbors, etc.

Some people you don't mind at all because they have helped you out along the way. And some, when you charge them, even at a discount, are in shock because they thought you were going to do it for the bubble.

Where do you draw the line?
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

its all up to you.

Some do military and elderly free, some do police and fire free, some do none free so it is all the same everytime.

I had someone tell me it is a "friend" if they have been to your house and you have been to theirs..............

other than that, its up to you.......what happens if you damage something???
  3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Agreed. Me? I'd only do relatives and closest friends for free (the one's I've been good friends with for countless years).

Otherwise I'd charge just to make it all even, and so there's no questions.

ERCKWD Member

I plowed one of my grandmothers' friends houses. I never asked for a dime because she didn't even have a nickel to give me, but she always offered and everytime I plowed she would call me the next day with 3-4 meals of homemade Italien food. The was the best "freebee" ever. But as far as freebees go I usually don't do them.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I do a couple of free ones, but I usually get something at the end of winter from them in return.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I will do a freebie now and then if I feel like it for a neighbor or friend or something. If my parents lived in the same state I would do them for free. My brother pays half price.

The way I look at is is if I'm friends w/ a dentist, do I get free cleanings? A lawyer, free litigating or other services? A mechanic, free wrenching? NO NO NO, I always pay. My uncle is a pilot, I don't fly free!
  7. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I did a similar thing where we used to live a few years back. A very elderly, frail woman lived across the street and it snowed about 3 and a half inches overnight. Early morning I went out and shoveled her driveway after ours was done. I didn't think she saw me, but she came over later and thanked me with a plate of cookies, insisting I take them.

Best freebee ever for me. Felt good about myself, and got some good cookies.
  8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

That question hits close to home b/c recently I've had the thought of doing a freebie for someone. The 1st time ever. I think I'm sick!!!:jester:
    But, anyhow, here's the story.
    I met this old guy a couple of years ago. Turns out, he was in the Navy (WW2):salute: and was a fairly decent gentleman. Can tell he didn't have alot of money. Run down place, broken old MTD lawnmower(hence the reason for our meeting) and a lawn as tall as a field. He's got 2 grown kids that live w/ him but, I don't think they're "quite right".
    He tried making ends meet and even delivered newspapers w/ their mini van. Well, he passed this past summer and the daughter called me after several events to plow their driveway. (several inches of frozen snow) She offered $20 less than what I did it for when her Dad was alive. I blew her off at first and would drive by frequently knowing it wasn't plowed by someone else. Its been a couple of events now (again) and they called again. I finally gave in, went and plowed it. They had cash in an envelope duct taped to the door. I plowed the drive and went to get the money. As I took it off the door I noticed a sign on the inside of the glass that read something like: "to the investigater...as of March 1st we will be out of money...."
    The note was hand written(poorly).
    I now know these people REALLY are in need.
    I think I WILL do SOMETHING to help. Probably plow driveway with NO additional charges all winter. BTW: we're having a lot of snow this year!
    Its just a small gravel drive and won't take very long to do.:rolleyes:
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

My freebies include my parents, my wife's parents, two old people I know.....

.....and this single mom who is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in real life up close. The first time I did her drive she called and asked if I took VISA. I said no, but I have a coupon for a free plowing if you want to use it. She laughed and said yes. It was 8 inches and on the third day after the storm. I was doing nothing. I get the address and go over there and knock it out with the SnowMan.
    She comes out to thank me and I forgot my name, I couldn't even speak. She said, "Do you have my coupon?" I said "You can't use the coupon" I was grinning. She said "I can't pay you, I only have my Visa card". She was smiling, too.

I said, "You just did", and drove off.
  10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Darn it how come every person i find looks like they fell out of 10 ugly trees?

Anyhow i do my grandparents for free Grandma sends me home with food all the time. grandfather gets mad that i wont take money he stuffs it in my pockets or in my coat if i take it off.
  11. Navigator7

Navigator7 Junior Member

"NO good deed goes unpunished!"

Don't do the favor if you can't afford it.

Having said all that, Americans, particularly us working folk are the most giving in all the world.
    If you are the owner, do things the way you want! If you are an employee, you are obligated to your employer's best interests.

I was coming home at dusk. 10" of snow on the ground at a home I'd never seen any signs of life except for a big white dog. An elderly lady was sweeping off her car with difficulty. I knew she wouldn't get out. I swept her car off, plowed out her driveway and took off for home when she ducked inside the house. She seemed very unappreciative.

I learned later she arrived at the hospital in time to pay her last respects to her dying husband.

In her mind I was an angel! I was out the 20 minutes of my time and it pleased me to help her out. I didn't want anything for my service. That small act has brought me far more in life than the $20 bucks I would have asked for.

Your milage may vary.
  12. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I plow both my Grandmothers for free. It's quite a bit out of the way, so to supplement it i took on a good paying drive near their homes. I could never charge my grandmothers for any sort of work, One of my grandmothers always has choclate cake ready for me when I'm done. xysport
  13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Amen, man. I think more Americans could take advice from the hardworking middle class guys like y'all. Anytime I see people stuck, I offer to pull them out, or at least offer 'em my cell to call a wrecker. And, if I saw somebody struggling after I get a plow, I'd offer to do it for them.

HAHAHAHA! Amen to that, too!!! :realmad:
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hot chicks sure have it easy don't they?! Not to mention that she probably has a drawer full of ones from her night job, and knew she could manipulate you with her looks, just like she does to every other guy.
  15. I dont think being "American" has anything to do with it. People are people. Whether your American, Canadian or Mexican every country has good people and bad... Its just how life was created...

That was a nice story though...
  16. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

::nods:: True. OK, modify that: I think more PEOPLE could take advice from the yadda yadda yadda I said before.
  17. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

This year I only do 1 for free, well it wasn't for free, but he paid for a new wheel baring for the truck, he paid to have my engine rebuilt this week. So I owe him right now about $180, he said don't worry about the cash, just plow my driveway and call it good. Then I do a lady who is a single mother, she came over today and asked if I could just get where the city plowed and I told her no problem. I got that, then I also do another neighbors once in a while, when he is working and she can't get out, she has a fake leg, so I just tell her to make me some cookies or some chili, i'd rather do their driveway and get cookies and chili than take a ride to mcdonnalds.

RODHALL Senior Member

I do a few free. Mom, mother in laws, a few meals on wheels folks, and a Serior center, that is run on donations. for me the serior center works well to help me market to other compnays that also donaite to them, every year i get a letter of recomendation from them.

I try and help others out, because some day i may be the one needing the help and would want someone to help me.
  19. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I help out the old man across the street. He has another guy plow for him but I try to shovel his walk etc. if it is more than a couple inches. He gets around good and enjoys shoveling, but if its allot of snow I go do it for him before I leave to hit my drives. then again when I get home if he hasn't already done it. I plow a neighbors drive around the corner from me for free, they are like second parents to me. He is a Toyota master tech, and real good with any automotive repairs. So If I get stumped or need help on one of my rigs he is always right there. Plus he always has a tool off the Snap On or Mac truck for me for Christmas! There is a Vietnam vet who wears leg braces, and uses crutches on my route too. His wife shovels their drive, but I always try to beat her to it. Then all she has to shovel is the very top where they park. There is another guy that also hits it once in a while too. An elderly couple up the road from me that are on a small fixed income, plus he also gave me about 15 plow customers years back when he got out of plowing. Her niece does it some times if she goes buy and I haven't gotten there yet. A buddy of mine that snow blows his own but he lives on a state road. So the state bank is hard to blow. I take one or two passed across his front yard. He always ties to hand me cash, I tell him no but he manages to get at least a $10 or so into my pocket every three of four storms. Plus tonight I got home and there was a message on my phone from his wife telling me to go look in the front seat of my car. I did, and there was a chocolate pie there!
  20. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

I whip out a few freebies here and there...... I dont think im a half bad guy all the time..... i give a few cents to the Salvation army people on christmas and buy the little things for MS and breast cancer and what nots, but i dont do that all the time. So i figure if i can pay it forward and maybe put a little bug in peoples minds about doing the same then that satisfaction is well worth my time and wear and tear on my equipt.... just praying to god that i dont mess nothing up on my plow or truck while im doing these "good deeds". I might have a different opinion if something was to go wrong while im doing these acts!... :salute: