1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Freaking out AGAIN and it's snowing....help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MichelleinMich, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

Hi guys,

I hope some of you same great people who helped me when I was freaking out about the 62 customers are here to help again! (By the way we now have 66 and have plowed 3 times successfully.)

It's snowing now, estimated about 4-5 inches between now (2:00 pm Thursday) and tomorrow around 9:00 a.m. Friday. My husband thinks he should wait until it's done snowing and then go out. I think he should go out tonight after the first 2 inches and then go back around tomorrow after it's stopped. He's worried customers will be upset at paying twice in one storm (although I put that in our contracts that we'll plow at 2" and again every 3" thereafter which may require multiple visits in one storm.)

What do you all typically do? I also see this as an opportunity to make double the money even though it would mean he'd be plowing for like a day straight but whatever it is what it is.

Advice?????????? And while I'm at it, we also have 3 commercial properties that we plow and salt. We're also debating when to salt. I thought he should go out before the offices close at 5:00 today and salt so that it's not slippery. He says his "contact" who works for another company says you don't salt til it's done snowing.

Ugh....can't wait for next year when we don't have to try and figure out all the basics this is tiring.

Thanks guys.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if someone wakes up with 3- 4 inches on there drive they may be pissed u havent shown up yet

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, since it is taking so long to get through the route, plow now and again tonight.

At the commercials, plow the main drives and salt them.

Not sure how to say it without being derogatory, so I'll leave it at don't listen to his contact.

Good luck.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

agreed, should be done right now, again when done snowing, we have always went by the policy of removal once a day MINNIMUM!!!, most municipalities have a bylaw stating that snow must be done every 24 hours, and not allowed to build up to certain levels. with 62 customers, i would phone them and ask what they would like too, there is another thread in commercial that is addressing this right now, check it out.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree.............

6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

do as you are contracted too do and you will be fine you can sleep when it is done snowing

7. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

Thanks for the advice you guys rock

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Get out there and push some snow, I know I will be leaving when it gets to two inches and there are some big snowflakes falling.

9. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

My husband respects the advice you all give even though he's never been to this site. I just told him that you all agree with me and he said OK and headed out to salt the offices. I love this site. I especially enjoyed telling him the "You can sleep when it's done snowing" comment.

10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Boy am I glad my wife is not a member of this forum. :laughing:

11. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

yea I bet!

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You'll hear it a lot, Plow with the storm not after. If he plows twice at 3 inches it WON'T take twice as long as if he was pushing 6 inches at once. But you will make twice the money!
    Plus if your contracts state you plow at 2 inches you really should do it.

13. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Hey! She's supportive, actually it sounds like your part of the business. My wife has been after me the last few years to get a "real job". I did this when we met deal with it.

14. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

hahah

I'd salt now, but only start plowing at 3 or 4 in the morning. If I was the paying customer I'd be pissed that I was charged twice in 12 hours for a half a foot storm.

For residential, a good rule of thumb to keep everyone happy, is start plowing so when your done your route theres less snow then when you started not vice versa.

i.e if you plow bob @ 2" and your getting 6" in total, by the next morning you will have 4" on the drive and bob wont be happy

15. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

Right on "absolute"

16. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

That's good advice. For the first go-around do you just plow and then worry about the sidewalk/walkways on the second trip after the snow has stopped?

17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

looking for a update!!!, hope everything is working out well, glad to see a husband and wife team working out well, cheers, and happy plowing!!!

18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you guys went with your idea which is stated in your contracts to start plowing at 2"...and not wait untill it's over.

When there's snow...it's time to go.

19. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

Glad to hear you are all making it work. If you need to network with a fellow wife, I am usually the one on here.. my hubby only gets on occasionally. I am like you, the one who generally posts and networks etc. Great to have you... I love your comments! Hilarious! Glad to hear you guys are making it work.... if you get a chance have your hubby show you how to plow. I learned and if it were not for having 3 little kids, I would probably be out there in a 2nd truck with him. I love it!! I think it is a control thing. See ya.
    Mrs. Big Daddy

20. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

I love your Mrs. Big Daddy call name. Do you handle the phones as well? I'm in hell at the moment. He did the drives last night and decided to do the sidewalks and walkways on his 2nd round (against my advice) and customers are blowing up my phone all morning. ugh.