1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frames

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PITCH, Nov 22, 2007.

1. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

I Have Read Some Threads In The Past, About The Frames On The Chevy's Cracking In The Front Behind The Upper Control Arm. Has Anybody Ever Had A Problem Under Normal Use. I Plow My Driveway And Our Lot At Work.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

3. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

After Reading The Other Threads I Did A Little Research. I Talked To The Dealer And They Haven't Done Many Frame Repairs. They Don't See It As A Common Problem. Older Trucks Yes But Not Many On The Hd's. I Questionsed Them On The Gussets And They Said Installing Them Would Probably Void The Warranty If A Problem Should Occur In The Future. They Said Deal With A Crack If It Cracks. I'm Doing Light Commercial Plowing With A 7.5 Vee Blade. I Only Keep My Trucks For Four Years. Is The Cracking More Common During Heavy Use And Age Or Is It A Problem No Matter What?????

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It seems to be more of an issue with the older HD's with the 8.1 V8's in them and bigger plows. I think your truck with a 7.5 foot plow should have no issue. It is an 07, so any issue will be covered by warranty

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I had the dealer weld in the gussets on my 07 before any frame damage should happen.

I have about 4 more years of warranty and I would like to use it on other things than my frame. I really haven't had a problem, but safer is the way I roll. I had a buddy with an 06 2500HD gasser, and his frame cracked to where they had to replace the entire frame under warranty. Sorry GM, give me a new truck. His truck will never be the same.

Jon

6. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

JON
    DID YOU PUT GUSSETS IN YOUR CLASSIC WITH TE 9 6" POLY VEE??? YOUR PLOWS ARE A LOT HEAVIER THAN MINE!!! IF NOT DID YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS??

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.5 ft Extreme V weigh's close to 900 lbs with the truck side hardware... I'd add the gusset's without question.

8. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

B&B

I AGREE WITH YOU, BUT THE DEALER DOESN'T THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA. THEY ARE TELLING ME (AND THEY ARE A FISHER/WESTERN DEALER) THEY DON'T SEE A LOT THESE PROBLEMS. THEIR VIEW IS IF YOU START ALTERING THE FRAME AND THERE IS A PROBLEM DOWN THE ROAD CHEVY WILL PROBABLY VOID THE WARRANTEE STATING THE PROBLEM STEMS FROM THE ADDING OF THE GUSSETS. I KNOW THEY ARE WRONG, BUT IT COULD BE CHEVY'S WAY OUT OF THE WARRANTEE. THE TRUCK DOES HAVE THE SNOWPLOW PREP, AND I KNOW IT IS JUST WIRING BUT THE STICKER SAYS SNOW PLOW PREP!!!! I DON'T THINK THE DEALER WOULD STEER ME IN THE WRONG DIRECTION BECAUSE I WOULD CONSIDER US TO BE A GOOD CUSTOMER. 30 VEHICLES IN FOUR YEARS

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The only problem with that is the fact that if your truck ever did in fact break the frame, I doubt they'd stand behind it regardless (warranty wise). They'd just claim it was from abuse rather than a defect in the frame. And since they're a GM dealer and a Fisher dealer, they'd also know that any size Extreme V exceeds the FAWR on your truck, plow prep or not. Plus, they'd also know that Fisher doesn't recommend anything heavier than a 7.5 ft RD plow on your truck. So it wouldn't be too hard for them to deny a warranty claim on your frame if you did ever have a problem with it. Granted, I hope this situation never arises for you but I also see your situation as the perfect example to add the gussets in the first place, since your running a plow that GM or Fisher doesn't recommend on your truck.. I would look at adding the gussets as cheap and easy way to prevent a lot of headaches later.

Now I hope they do consider you as a very good customer and they'd never steer you in the wrong direction, but that's a lot of trust to put in a dealer. If they denied your broken frame under warranty and you had to pay the out of pocket expense to replace the frame, your lookin at about $5000 and 2 weeks of down time (minimum) on the truck. Verses $300 and 2 hours worth of work to install the gussets to prevent the problem in the first place. Would you put that much trust into your dealer?....just food for thought. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007