1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frame width on 73-87's?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by linycctitan, May 19, 2012.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Searched for a while, to no avail so here's my question; Does anyone know the width of the front frame rails directly behind the bumper, outside to outside?

Reason I ask is I am currently beginning to hunt for a late-'70's to '87 K10 or K20, the issue is I refuse to buy one that already has, or previously had a plow, as I am plenty aware of the cancer and frame crack issues this generation has. I want to clarify that statement by saying that I have owned many GM trucks of that era, and although I aware of their "quirks", I still absolutely love them. I can't afford to buy even a decent used plow with a frame to fit that truck so I will be putting my plow on it, and since I have the "new style" drive-in mount (with the 2 spring loaded pins), a mount is not made for this plow for this truck. The only used mount found for this style truck is the old 3 pin setup.

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I measured some of my old truck frames I had and the width was 28 1/8" wide. Most plow manufactures like Boss & Fisher still offer plows for the 87 & older GM's.

Don't be afraid of looking at an old GM truck with a plow on it, there is a lot of these trucks out there with plows on them that have only done personal plowing. I know of some trucks around here that are this way where those that own them have just recently put plows on them to clear there drives instead of using a snow blower or a tractor.

My old 85 K20 has had a Fisher MM2 on it for two seasons now but total plowing time is less than 1 hour and this truck is in very good shape.

3. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Thanks, that helps a lot, sounds about right from what I remember. I've had several trucks from the era, K5's, 10's & 20's, and as some of you guys know once your bit by the bug, they're all you can think about.

It'll be much cheaper and easier to fab 4 simple brackets to bolt up the center section of my plow frame (29" width) than to purchase a plow & mount specific to these trucks. Also, around here it's hard enough to find a decent K10 or 20 that hasn't been beaten to death, or one that the body isn't rotting off the frame. To find one that already has a plow and is in decent shape would be like hitting the lotto!

Going to look at 2 K20's this week, so we'll see. I'm not in a real hurry, but money is very much a factor, so I'm changing things up. Thanks for the help.