1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frame where lift cylinder mounts snapped...

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by blwnsmoke, Mar 26, 2013.

1. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Plowing a parking lot, hit 1/2" lip in the school parking lot, plow tripped a hair and then found the plow won't go up.

Plow went left and right so got out thinking my harness must have moved a bit. To my surprise, the lift cylinder was leaning over my plow.

I can deal with maintenance and normal wear and tear but part of the frame snapping like this??

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Three years old and this happens??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

What kinda' plow is it?
  3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Oops.. it is an Ex90.
  4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

You wouldn't think that part of the frame gets much stress in a trip situation either unless it wasn't in float or the chains were super tight (meaning unusable tight). I would think that gets the most stress just driving down the road hitting bumps and the plow bounces in transport.

Anyways I would call snowdogg. It seems like they like feedback about product failure so they can make improvements. I bet they may even cover it under warranty.
  5. djagusch

from mn

I took a look at my vx plow. No cracks, seems like a weak point with how it designed. Guessing overtime the hole will oblong and fail. It looks clean but don't understand why it couldn't of been taller/more metal on top of the hole.
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely odd, my plow has done a few slaps this season on some back roads (felt like my trucks frame was going to snap) and the plow has held up fine. It loosened a few of the hydraulic pack studs (the ones underneath it that hold it on the headgear) but a quick tightening of them took care of it. Definitely call and see what they say.
  7. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

I was looking at some of the plows at my dealer when I went to pick up the new upper frame. It looks like they are designed differently now and it is more of a large square block then a U shaped frame/hole for the bolt to go through. Not sure if it is just my imagination or if it is indeed designed differently now with the new plows.

Now I can't help but think this will be a reoccurring issue every 3 years.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. djagusch

from mn

Was the new upper frame updated or the same of what you had?
  9. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

It was identical but I question if it was just laying around as an old one or I was seeing things with a redesign. Could have just been mistaken.

You would think of all the parts of the plow, a frame would not snap in 3 years. It should be the strongest part of a plow.

I PM'd Scott with a link to the thread.. I'm interested to hear what he thinks.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. tyke

tyke Junior Member

Mine snapped off two months ago,but not at the pin holes,the bracket broke off where it attaches to the sguare tubing,it was only spot welded in two spots,so I cleaned it all up and welded it complete on both sides,as it could have been done when built?.

A month before that the plate that swivels where the two large mounting pins are broke off where the large greasable pins is,including the gusset underneath,so had to break the plow apart from the main frame,clean it up and rewelded top and bottom spots,seems to be holding up so far,i keep an eye on it now.

Two years past,the complete A frame assembly cracked and broke,apparently some units had no gussets originally and where weak in spots,i did contact a dealer at that time and eventually it went right to snow dogg,and within a week I had a whole new updated assymbly delivered to my door,and I then installed it all myself,so was happy with the response from the company.

The other two I just fixed and never contacted snow dogg,i only plow about 30 sites,but we are in the country,almost all are dirt or gravel roads,and its rough on any plow,so breakage sometimes is going to happen.

Plow is great for moving snow,and I think I have all the kinks worked out now,already went through the bad lift cyinder issue,new parts sent from snow dogg again,N.C,and I installed them,i also removed the pump and reservoir assymby and took it all apart and flushed and cleaned,would recommend this as it was all gunked up,especially the reservoir housing and pick up filter within.

My plow is an ex 80 ,2007,and I bought it on a truck in 2010.